Shotcrete on plumbing

Waddle

Sep 20, 2015
San Diego/CA
Hello

We had shotcrete completed 2 weeks ago and have since brought out the landscaper that will be pouring the concrete for the pool decking. He noticed that the electrical wasn’t deep enough at only 12” and he told us that the shot rate would have to be removed from the pipes. Is there any truth to what he is telling me or is he just looking on tacking on extra charges? Thanks in advance!

6EE68058-0921-4751-837F-F17AAD454D4D.jpegE5DCA32F-8B62-4C42-930E-E9FD40E0CBEF.jpeg83ECD9D8-A2F8-422F-8059-D2CEBBFA8D5E.jpeg

Have you had an inspection by your local building department whom issued the permit for the pool build?

As MK said this is for your local jurisdiction.

To be sarcastic, at least they didn’t pack rebound in the shell. I wish they didn’t backfill piping with it.
You have an easy choice; remove it now or after decking is poured.

Shouldn’t be a problem. Isn’t that the point of conduit? To protect what’s inside? It’s all going to be buried in dirt anyway. But call the building inspection department to be sure. See if they require the trenches to be open for inspection. If the trenches can be filled in prior to plumbing inspection you will be fine.

Thanks all for the replies! The inspection for setbacks, underground plumbing and reinforced steel was done a day prior to shotcrete and passed on all 3. The landscaper brought to our attention that the electrical was not deep enough and should be at least 18” due to code. In regards to the shotcrete that fell on the plumbing he insisted that the shotcrete will need to be removed before backfill to prevent future leaks due to the pressure in the pipes.

No inspection has been done after shotcrete and not sure if there will be any. I will reach out to the PB to give me an update on the new timeline as it has been changing quite a bit due to the rain.

Again ty all!

Attachments

• DB840953-E1A1-4DE4-8FAC-367D117E9F54.jpeg
    DB840953-E1A1-4DE4-8FAC-367D117E9F54.jpeg
    515.6 KB · Views: 26
As the sign off sheet shows, they have yet to sign off on the rough plumbing and electrical. They will need them exposed, I imagine, for inspection.
Not sure about the comment the shotcrete will damage the plumbing. Since much of it is encased in shotcrete around the pool shell.

Buried electrical is not a mystery there is a code to follow. The inspector would know that code. If it is 18" he will fail it. What did the electrician who put it at 12" say?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
they are figuring on finished depth, you have about 12"in the trench and at least another 6" to hit the bond beam top, plus decking. if it passed and inspector is happy its fine. as PoolGuy said they used the trench for a washout of truck and tools, its just a slurry and is no issue to electrical. I can see a potential issue w plumbing tho IF the base under piping isnt compacted well, you may get a see-saw effect with settling/mechanical compacting when decking goes in. just point it out to PB and be sure city has signed off on it. Im guessing the landscaper is doing pavers or decking of some sort and hes concerned with compacting his sub-base

Reactions: PoolguyinCT
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.