Short term dealing with algae

The pool service came for their last visit to clean what I had assumed was a DE filter. Turns out it is cartridge so I could have pretty easily cleaned it myself.

I was a bit scared my return issues were caused by running the heater a few times for the spa and clogging that up but with the filter cleaned, the flow on the return side is as strong as it's ever been. I am now able to run my pressure side vacuum now and I am expecting the last bit of algae that is dead will now be caught even quicker by the filter.

I've had to replace chlorine twice during the day (down from 16-> 12) but overnight measurements were about the same. The water is close to 100% clear other than when I brush so I think I'm in the home stretch now and the kids will get ~ 2 more months of swimming while we wait for the remodel. I've learned a bunch of lessons:

1) my pool is probably closer to 25K gallons from the measurements I'm seeing
2) filter is already cartridge, I may not need to replace it, just clean it more often.
3) I can totally handle the chemicals and feel much more confident to understand the new break-in tasks as they come after the remodel and know that my Pebbletec will have been taken care of from day one.
4) Having done it right, the three pool services I've had were nearly 100% wrong. The once a week method just doesn't work as far as I can tell and the ones that use tabs/pucks are even worse.

It will be nice too when the kids don't end up with green hair (previous pool, not this one). Even my wife is interested in understanding the system now that we are getting it dialed in and the kids love the chemistry part. Wins all around!
Thanks all!

Reactions: IceShadow
Passed OCLT, pool is crystal clear. It was definitely worth it to get the pool back to where it should be before our remodel. Never know how long the delays might take and it'll be in the 80s+ starting next week.

Pool service sent me another note that the rates are headed up. I bought $30 worth of chlorine and I'm guessing that will get me through the month once the SLAM levels drop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.