Short term dealing with algae

drew1976

Jul 12, 2018
San Ramon
I have a pool service and the pool has bloomed with a yellow/slight greenish algae (basically covering the bottom)

I have been paying a pool service to maintain it but I don't really have any faith in what they are doing anymore.

1) FC levels are constantly around 1-2 ppm. Got as low as .5 on some of the reports
2) I watched the tech test the levels and it was about a 30 second process. I have no faith in their measurements at this point.

I called to complain about the algae bloom and they are recommending
1) vacuuming the algae out from the entire pool for an hour ($135)
2) filter is due for servicing ($110)
3) Phosphate treatment (I pushed back against this but they insist it is the only way to get rid of the algae)

In addition, we are shutting down the pool in ~8 weeks for a complete remodel.

I am leaning towards trying to vacuum it out myself today (I have a vacuum I can put right into the skimmer) and having them service the filter only. Once that is done, shock the pool to try to clear it out for the next 8 weeks and get all the equipment clean for post remodel. I have order the TFTestKits set so I can do this all myself post remodel anyway.

They are insistent that free chlorine at 1-2 is enough and I am convinced that this is what caused the algae bloom. I'd like to shock it and practice maintaining at 4 or so (per their measurements, CYA is currently at 40 but I can see on my past reports where they have added lbs of CYA on multiple occasions which makes no sense to me - it shouldn't b dissappearing)

I am really trying to double check myself here as I tend to trust the "experts" but from reading here I am realizing that most of my pool service companies have been pretty clueless given TFP methods :(

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Welcome to TFP :)

If they have been using pucks your CYA is way over 40... fire them, pour 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine in the pool every day until you get your test kit.. Post up your numbers and we can go from there :)

Can you fill out your signature so we know what type pool you have and all the data, it helps us help you.. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88

drew1976

Jul 12, 2018
San Ramon
Thanks cowboycasey. Signature has been updated with what I know. Still learning a lot about the system and will be home later to update.

They are using liquid bleach and provide me with reports that have different data. Aggregating here (for my benefit as well):

2/3/2021
  • 2 ppm free chlorine, 7.8 ppm pH.
  • 1/4 gal bleach added
2/10/2021
  • .5 ppm free chlorine, 7.8 ppm pH, 70 ppm total alkalinity.
  • 1/4 gal liquid chlorine, 7lbs bicarb
2/17/2021
  • 1 ppm free chlorine, 7.8 ppm pH
  • 1/2 gal liquid chlorine
2/24/2021
  • 1 ppm free chlorine, 7.8 ppm pH, 80 ppm total alkalinitym 260 ppm calcium hardness
  • 1/2 gal liquid chlorine, 16 oz muriatic acid

3/3/2021
  • no data provided
3/10/2021
  • 1/2 gal liquid chlorine, 2lb cyanuric acid
3/17/2021
  • 1/4 gal liquid chlorine, 2oz pr (?), 5 lbs cyanuric acid
3/24/2021
  • 1.5 ppm free chlorine, 7.7 ppm pH
3/31/2021
  • .5 ppm free chlorine, 7.9 ppm pH, 30 ppm cyanuric acid
  • 1 gal liquid chlorine 16 oz muriatic acid
4/7/2021
4/14/2021
  • .5 ppm free chlorine, 7.8 ppm pH
  • 1 gal liquid chlorine, 2lbs cyanuric acid
4/21/2021
  • no data provided
4/28/2021
  • 1.5 ppm free chlorine, 7.7 ppm pH, 40 ppm cyanuric acid
  • 1 gal liquid chlorine, 16 oz muriatic acid

Maybe they aren't reporting all the numbers but it doesn't seem like most of the things they are adding are even based on the readings (for example more chlorine was added on 4/28 when FC was 1.5ppm vs 4/7 when it was at 1ppm)

My plan now is to not have them do anything while I figure out what is actually going on with the levels once I get my test kit. I will figure out a way to vacuum it myself (though I don't see a waste setting anywhere in the system). I bought 12 gallons of 10% bleach so I will add a 1/2 gallon in for now each day until the test kit gets here.

Reactions: cowboycasey

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
My plan now is to not have them do anything while I figure out what is actually going on with the levels once I get my test kit
Welcome to the club Drew !!

We got oodles of folks to guide you and it will actually become quite boring with how easy it is once it all ‘clicks’.

*And* it will be darn near free compared to what you’ve paid so far.

drew1976

Jul 12, 2018
San Ramon
Welcome to the club Drew !!

We got oodles of folks to guide you and it will actually become quite boring with how easy it is once it all ‘clicks’.

*And* it will be darn near free compared to what you’ve paid so far.
Thanks, we have decided to go with SWG when we do the remodel but glad I am getting the learning experience now to make sure those levels are correct and dialed in post-remodel! I had planned to learn before then but just upping the time frame to this weekend :)

Reactions: Newdude