Short term dealing with algae

Jul 12, 2018
Concord, CA
I have a pool service and the pool has bloomed with a yellow/slight greenish algae (basically covering the bottom)

I have been paying a pool service to maintain it but I don't really have any faith in what they are doing anymore.

1) FC levels are constantly around 1-2 ppm. Got as low as .5 on some of the reports
2) I watched the tech test the levels and it was about a 30 second process. I have no faith in their measurements at this point.

I called to complain about the algae bloom and they are recommending
1) vacuuming the algae out from the entire pool for an hour ($135)
2) filter is due for servicing ($110)
3) Phosphate treatment (I pushed back against this but they insist it is the only way to get rid of the algae)

In addition, we are shutting down the pool in ~8 weeks for a complete remodel.

I am leaning towards trying to vacuum it out myself today (I have a vacuum I can put right into the skimmer) and having them service the filter only. Once that is done, shock the pool to try to clear it out for the next 8 weeks and get all the equipment clean for post remodel. I have order the TFTestKits set so I can do this all myself post remodel anyway.

They are insistent that free chlorine at 1-2 is enough and I am convinced that this is what caused the algae bloom. I'd like to shock it and practice maintaining at 4 or so (per their measurements, CYA is currently at 40 but I can see on my past reports where they have added lbs of CYA on multiple occasions which makes no sense to me - it shouldn't b dissappearing)

I am really trying to double check myself here as I tend to trust the "experts" but from reading here I am realizing that most of my pool service companies have been pretty clueless given TFP methods :(

Welcome to TFP :)

If they have been using pucks your CYA is way over 40... fire them, pour 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine in the pool every day until you get your test kit.. Post up your numbers and we can go from there :)

Can you fill out your signature so we know what type pool you have and all the data, it helps us help you.. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks cowboycasey. Signature has been updated with what I know. Still learning a lot about the system and will be home later to update.

They are using liquid bleach and provide me with reports that have different data. Aggregating here (for my benefit as well):

2/3/2021
  • 2 ppm free chlorine, 7.8 ppm pH.
  • 1/4 gal bleach added
2/10/2021
  • .5 ppm free chlorine, 7.8 ppm pH, 70 ppm total alkalinity.
  • 1/4 gal liquid chlorine, 7lbs bicarb
2/17/2021
  • 1 ppm free chlorine, 7.8 ppm pH
  • 1/2 gal liquid chlorine
2/24/2021
  • 1 ppm free chlorine, 7.8 ppm pH, 80 ppm total alkalinitym 260 ppm calcium hardness
  • 1/2 gal liquid chlorine, 16 oz muriatic acid

3/3/2021
  • no data provided
3/10/2021
  • 1/2 gal liquid chlorine, 2lb cyanuric acid
3/17/2021
  • 1/4 gal liquid chlorine, 2oz pr (?), 5 lbs cyanuric acid
3/24/2021
  • 1.5 ppm free chlorine, 7.7 ppm pH
3/31/2021
  • .5 ppm free chlorine, 7.9 ppm pH, 30 ppm cyanuric acid
  • 1 gal liquid chlorine 16 oz muriatic acid
4/7/2021
4/14/2021
  • .5 ppm free chlorine, 7.8 ppm pH
  • 1 gal liquid chlorine, 2lbs cyanuric acid
4/21/2021
  • no data provided
4/28/2021
  • 1.5 ppm free chlorine, 7.7 ppm pH, 40 ppm cyanuric acid
  • 1 gal liquid chlorine, 16 oz muriatic acid

Maybe they aren't reporting all the numbers but it doesn't seem like most of the things they are adding are even based on the readings (for example more chlorine was added on 4/28 when FC was 1.5ppm vs 4/7 when it was at 1ppm)

My plan now is to not have them do anything while I figure out what is actually going on with the levels once I get my test kit. I will figure out a way to vacuum it myself (though I don't see a waste setting anywhere in the system). I bought 12 gallons of 10% bleach so I will add a 1/2 gallon in for now each day until the test kit gets here.

Reactions: cowboycasey
My plan now is to not have them do anything while I figure out what is actually going on with the levels once I get my test kit
Welcome to the club Drew !!

We got oodles of folks to guide you and it will actually become quite boring with how easy it is once it all ‘clicks’.

*And* it will be darn near free compared to what you’ve paid so far.

Welcome to the club Drew !!

We got oodles of folks to guide you and it will actually become quite boring with how easy it is once it all ‘clicks’.

*And* it will be darn near free compared to what you’ve paid so far.
Thanks, we have decided to go with SWG when we do the remodel but glad I am getting the learning experience now to make sure those levels are correct and dialed in post-remodel! I had planned to learn before then but just upping the time frame to this weekend :)

Reactions: Newdude
Pool was serviced yesterday. I am convinced the filter is somewhat clogged and they confirmed it was due for a service. Still, I am able to run the pump at 1800 so I am likely going to proceed with the SLAM.

I got my test kit in and my initial measurements from it:

pH: 7.4
FC: 1.5 ppm
CYA: <20 (I did the test three times and each time I could still see the disk at 20 and disappeared after a few more drops above 20)
CC: 0
Calcium: 180-200 ppm
Alkalinity: 110ppm

So it seems like I need to raise my CYA first then start the SLAM tomorrow.

I would add enough to get to 30 CYA... drop you PH to 7.2 and start the SLAM.. No need to test for anything other than FC and CC during the SLAM... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Go to Lowes and get the 2 pack of muriatic acid for WAY CHEAPER than the pool store, Out in the garden area..... CYA liquid is fine :)

Lowes was open last night and the pool store wasn't so I just got the solid CYA and hung 4 lbs of it (the recommended amount to get me to 35) in a paint strainer/sock in front of the return jet.

I am going to retest pH today but it sounds like I should wait a week to retest my CYA? Should I wait to do the SLAM until I can remeasure CYA accurately?

One other confounding variable - I am getting the filter cleaned on Wednesday because I think it is clogged from all the algae. I am thinking now to just wait for Wednesday to slam it. I since my FC was so low at 1.5, I may try to get that up to a more acceptable range short term as well.

Once CYA is in just know it is there, you can test next week.. squeeze it all out today... I would adjust your PH to 7.2 and start the SLAM today, check every 2 hours or as much as you can and get it done :)

Yep - once CYA is in the water, it's in the water. You can test in a few days to ensure it went up as expected but it's not like it's going to disappear, so you can go ahead and start the SLAM. Getting your FC up to SLAM levels will help your filter in the long run if anything because it will stop the algae from multiplying. It may just stay cloudy blue until the filter can be cleaned and start really getting the dead algae out.

Thanks to you both. Somehow the filter turned off last night but CYA sock is well on its way to being done by tonight with the filter back on. I'll retest pH tonight, add the right amount of acid if needed and then re-measure FC and start the shock first thing Saturday

Is it common that pool services runs with CYA and FC so low? I mentioned that they keep testing at .5 - 1.5 which seems low but they said it was right where it should be. Given that a) my pool is in the sun 24/7 and b) CYA seems to have been low this whole time I can't figure out how they think that is the right level? My algae problem tells me I'm right :)

Most pool services and stores don't recognize the FC/CYA relationship. They just dump stuff in (and charge you for it) until it works, and if that fails, tell you the water is old and you have to change it out (again at your cost).

So I've noticed that my return side pressure has really dropped to the point where I am not getting much flow through the filter at all. I am getting about half the pressure that I normally would out of my pool/spa returns at the highest pump setting.

However, the pressure gauge on the filter is stuck at 10psi. I am fairly certain that the gauge might be bad. I opened the valve and the water came out but not very forcefully so I am trying to figure out if I actually have a clogged filter or not since I have low flow on the return but seemingly not a lot of pressure in the filter. I also occasionally see water dripping from the filter egress. As the return water makes its way through the heater it certainly doesn't sound like the pipe is full.

Everything from the suction side seems fine. Pump is priming as expected.

My SLAM is ongoing. I screwed up and overchlorinated at the beginning. I had 128oz containers of bleach and it looks like the website calculator defaulted to 96oz. Therefore, I put in 1/3 too much bleach and ending up spiking my FC into the 30s :(

We had a full day of sun yesterday and by the evening it was down to 23 so I think it was a relative harmless screwup. The pool definitely has a chlorine smell and I had CC for the first time (still < 1) so I am taking that as a sign that the chlorine is still killing the algae. However, the filter is defintely struggling now to keep up. I have lowered the pump to 1500 rpm because above that I'm not really seeing any measurable flow increase. The spa and shallow end are sparkling clear but the deep end is a still a bit cloudy - I am guessing since the filter can't keep up.

Quick question - my filter says de-2400-z-10 . In researching, it seems this is a 24 sq ft DE filter. Seems way undersized for a near 30K gallon pool? Especially one that started to have algae problems? We are going to replace it with a 520 cartridge once the remodel starts. I am going to have the pool service clean it and the tell them to be on their way for good. They sent out a note that they were increasing prices 20%. $132 a month now to have a cloudy pool, no thanks! That's a lot of testing supplies and chemicals per month :)

Turns out I am brushing less and less and now I have a fairly good idea of what has been happening.

My levels measured from the pool service were around .5-1.5 ppm FC every time. Not sure how much I can trust that. CYA was probably around 20 or less.

Pool guy would come on Wednesday and by Friday I'd have algae on the bottom of the pool. I'd keep sweeping it assuming the filter wasn't getting it, but now I'm fairly confident that the filter was getting it. My pool gets about 10-12 hrs of direct sunlight and I'm certain now whatever they put in just burnt out sometime on or before the weekend. Repeat the cycle and it just kept multiplying and some would die out every Wednesday when they would put some bleach in that I'd have to sweep all over again.

So far on this shock, the level of algae I am sweeping has gone down every day and I am realizing it's likely because more of it isn't being created :) I think I may actually have a clear pool by the weekend. We can see the shallow end clear as day for the first time since owning the house.

By the end of today, FC dropped to 18. Going to get it down to 16 and then maintain til everything clears up. Hopefully getting the filter cleaned out on Wednesday helps speed up the last bit of clearing out the remaining algae.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.