Short Interval Timer on AGP Pump - GFCI trip

robwillishu

Jul 26, 2020
Denver
So, I have just installed my first AGP. Initially it was fairly easy but as the family uses it I have been forced to make "improvements". The wife won't use it unless it is warmer.

This led to the installation of a solar heater. However it seems that the most effective use of the solar heater is to set your pump on a short interval timer(SIT). Seemed easy enough...
I purchased a SIT set it up per directions and plugged everything in. It appeared to work at first but at the first stop the GFCI got tripped. Now to be clear there is a GFCI built into the power cord on the pump. This is the GFCI that keeps tripping. Here is my dilemma; How do I keep that from tripping every cycle?

What model SIT did you use?

What model pump?

This the timer -

That is a smart timer which means it is stealing some power from the circuit for the electronics module. The GFCI in the pump cord is seeing that stealing of power as an imbalance between the neutral and hot lines that it cannot account for an tripping the GFCI.

Use a dumb mechanical timer or try one of their outdoor timers...

Or you can try plugging the timer into a GFCI outlet and then cutting off the GFCI on the cord and making it into a regular plug. That is not recommended as it makes it easy for someone to plug the pump into a non-GFCI outlet and not have GFCI protection. But I want to mention it because I am sure someone will suggest it.

Yep, that is the timer. I looked at the other timers and none of them are the same short interval type timer as far as I can tell. I really want the short interval type to cycle the pump on and of at 15 min intervals for the solar heater to make the most impact.
The timer is plugged into an outlet that is wired through a GFCI outlet so it has some protection. I did think about cutting off the plug and changing it but don't feel entirely comfortable with that.
I may reach out to BN Link directly for assistance in selecting a timer.
Thank you for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.