Shopping list for new build in Colorado

Kemble

Gold Supporter
Mar 12, 2017
CO
So I'm 99% convinced I want to get the 18'x33'x54" Saltwater 8000 Oval Pool from poolfactory.com (14,000 gallon) - Will consider feedback for any other brand.
The goal is to drop it around 27" into the ground on one side as my backyard is on a slope.

I've also convinced myself to go Automation which would obviously require me to get all the same brand accessories. Thus my list starts.

Pentair 520593 EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40
Pentair Screen Logic Bundle Kit 522104
Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump with Digital Time Clock Included | 3HP Max | 011018
FNS Plus 48 Sq Ft Filter w/o Valve - 180008
2" Multiport Valve Threaded for D.E - 261152
Pentair Heat Pump 108K

Do I need to get anything like padding to go underneath the liner?

I plan to hard plum everything underground and locate approximately 25' away form pool. Am I ok with going under the pool or should I route it around the perimeter?

As far as the heat pump. Am I correct by saying I should not enclose this inside an equipment shed since I plan on hiding my pump & filter correct ? Or can I enclose everything?

Thanks !!!

Last edited:
K,

The EasyTouch was designed to control the Intelliflo pump via a serial control cable. It will not (easily) control a SuperFlo VS pump.

I assume you are getting automation for the ease of use.. If so, you really need the Intelliflo as it will allow you to control everything seamlessly.

Also, get ScreenLogic 2, which costs less than $400. This makes it possible to use and program the EasyTouch on your PC, which is about 10 x easier than using the little 3" LCD.

Another thing.. Make sure you buy the EasyTouch that comes with an IC40 as a package. It is generally cheaper, and the SWCG power supply is built right into the EasyTouch enclosure.

I have no heater, but most people here recommend the RayPak units.. The heater is the one unit that can be controlled by almost all types of automation systems, so it does not need to be the same brand.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

For heat pump size 108 should be enough for your size pool. Make sure to size you power supply for less than 3% voltage drop. I believe the 108 from pentair circuit ampacity of 40amps just for the heat pump. Heat pumps must have free air flow on all sides and top. They pull heat from the air and expel cold air out the top. They need a unrestricted supply of warm air to work. It will also generate a couple gallons and of condensate an hour.

Don't run any plumbing under the pool. If you ever have a broken pipe you will need to be able to dig it up. Use the 2 inch pipe and just reduce down at the filter if you have to.

I have sand under my liner and don't have any problems. There are a lot of people here that put foam under the liner. The choice is yours both have positives and negatives.

As far as padding we did the pink foam underneath. Cost around 250$ if I remember right, maybe a bit more, but I'm glad we did it. Having a smooth pool bottom is very worth it. I always hated the lumps and bumps that would show up in the sand bottom of our old intex.

The only regret I have is not taping tight enough seams. It started raining while we were taping. Instead of holding off we kept going and the tape didn't stick as well so I do have some seams that are felt on the bottom. Overall I'd do it again, just a little better.

K,

I'm not sure but you don't want either of them.. You want P/N 522104, which comes with the ScreenLogic Software, Protocol adapter, and wireless communication transceivers.

It is all the things you need to connect an EasyTouch to your PC, Tablet, or phone.

It sells for less than just the wireless system you referenced... Less than $400 at sunplay...

And no I have no idea why that is... :D

Jim R.

K,

It is less powerful pump for the same amount of money as the 010018..

It might be the perfect pump if it were priced at $600... Not so much at almost $1,000 bucks.

From the Pentair site... "For pools in an area that restricts the rate of flow on replacement pumps, the IntelliFlo i1 pump may be the ideal choice. It's hydraulic design reduces flow rates while providing significant energy savings. The i1 pump also has a maximum rating of 7 amps, which helps make retrofits easier in applications that are limited by existing wire gauge size."

Jim R.

As to not create a new thread, How much sand should I get for the floor of my pool? If my pool will measure 18 x 33 oval. I did a google search to determine 18 x 33 x .8 = 475 sq ft. How thick do I need it ? 2" 3" ? If I use sand for the side walls. I assume masonry sand is the preferred sand correct?

I'm guessing 5 cubic yards. Agreed ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.