Shopping for a Pool-What to order?

Nov 19, 2014
Homosassa, Florida
Hello to all ! My wife and I are shopping for a new above ground pool. Strangely there don't appear to be many dealers in Pasco County Florida to visit and compare. As a general rule I try to buy quality. On the other hand I don't like to overpay either. There's lots of conflicting information on the internet about what to buy. I did have an in ground pool built years ago (never again !) in Pennsylvania. So I am not totally unfamiliar with pumps, filters, vacuums, pool chemicals etc. What I am unfamiliar with is quality of pool walls (steel vs aluminum) tracks, posts, seat and appropriate sizes for pump and filter and whether I need a pool heater here in Central Florida. It does get cold here ! We're leaning toward a 15x30 oval pool. Any advice would really be appreciated and I apologize if this has already been covered. Thanks !

I bought a radiant pool. It was a little more expensive than a regular steel walled pool, but I am glad I spent the extra money. The walls and track are kind of tricky to deal with on a regular AGP. But with the radiant, they would stand by themselves. It went up in a flash too. After the ground was prepped it took maybe a couple hours to put the walls up, put in my gorilla pad, the wall cove, and liner, and toss a hose in for fill up. Super easy. The insulated walls seemed to help, but to what degree, i don't know. http://www.radiantpools.com

My build link is in my signature. Good Luck!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The size of the filter we recommend is a function of the pool volume, length of season, and how often you want to clean the filter. What type of filter do you want? Read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/160-pool-filter-comparison

The size of the pump is dependent on your flow rate needs (waterfalls, spas, etc). If none, then a small 2-speed pump is fine.

Usually you will not find combo units for AG pools that have the filters / pumps properly sized and you are better off buying them separately.

I highly recommend you spend some time reading through Pool School as the chemical methods we recommend may be very different from what you used to do. Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Good stuff, thanks guys. I need all the help I can get. Do you feel that its better to order a pool online? Is that the reason why there seems to be so few dealers in my area? ( Central Florida)

Yes it does seem that chemicals have changed some. For example I need to educate myself about Baquacil and Salt Water Pools. Right now I'm just focused on the actual parts of the above ground pool. Best wall material, posts, track, and rails. Is resin the way to go? (Except for the walls of course) And the walls? Steel or aluminum? The Radiant pool seems to have something different than what I have seen and appears very sturdy.

Well I can lighten your learning load some ... forget about Baquacil. Just pretend you have never heard of it and stick with chlorine.

I think the first decision you need to make is whether you want a SWG pool or a standard chlorine pool (Note: a SWG is still a chlorine pool.) If you want to go with a SWG, then you may want to look for pools that would still carry a warranty ... like maybe resin to lower the corrosion risks.

Thanks Jason I will erase Baquacil from my memory banks. I'm leaning toward a steel walled pool with resin rails, track and posts and SWG if thats possible. Thanks for the kind comments Kim. I'd appreciate you sharing your research. What are the better pool brands? Is it true that more people are buying above ground pools from internet retailers than from dealers?

I bought mine online. I like to support local businesses, but in this case, it was (if i remember correctly) a $1500 difference to buy online. I bought mine from In The Swim. I bought everything else separately like already said here in here. Just do some searching around on the site. Typically the same questions have been asked. When I first started last spring, I was on this site everyday for hours, just reading up and learning. There is a ton of experience, tips, and tricks on this forum. The only time I go to the pool store is for muriatic acid. I never ask for any help from them. I just search my question on this site. One time, I went in trying to lower my alkalinity, and bought 2 cases (8 bottles) of muriatic acid. The pool guy looked at me funny, and said... thats a lot of acid... I just looked at him and said... yep.. I didn't need to hear his story. I know what I am doing.

I like others recommend the BBB (TFP) method, a good test kit, and the pool math calculator. I went all summer with crystal clear water. People that swam in my pool always commented on how clear and how nice the water felt. I might switch to a SWG later, but for now adding a few cups of bleach each day works for me. I was also told that a SWG will not void any warranty in a Radiant Pool.

There are a lot of choices out there in pools, but if you have any questions about my pool, you can PM me so the direct chatter stays off the forum. But good luck. These guys here are always willing to help, as long as you help yourself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
oh.. When I was at the local dealer, they included in the price a: Pump, Sand filter, Winter Cover, and a starter pack of chemicals. The pump was a 1/2 horse no name brand, and the filter was way too small. I would of had to run the pump 24 hours a day to get my water to turnover enough. The winter cover was junk, and why would i need starter chemicals ruining my water chemistry right from the start. Well I know, because they want you to come back. You can find better deals online, or even craigslist.

The forum has lots of questions about "the best brand" of most stuff.....particularly pumps and pools.

There is little difference in pumps and not much more in pools. You'll need to keep reading and learning until you have knowledge enough to see if a particular pool will satisfy what you want it to do.

The cost vs benefit ratio has come down so low that anything else almost doesn't make sense.
I am not aware of a significant drop in the saltwater equipment cost......enough to make them in line with direct application of chlorine. If they are around the same cost, are there some examples?

http://www.nationalpoolwholesalers.com/above_ground_pools.asp

The above link is where I got my pool from. They had the best prices AND I liked that pick what equipment I wanted.

I picked NON steel/non rustable materials.

The customer service was good as well. I called a couple of times with questions and they answered the phone and were very kind and knowledgeable on their products.

Kim

I am not sure it is was all humidity but I am sure it played a part in the rust on the last pool.

Our last pool was pre-TFP and the liner got ruined. I hated the pool so much that I just wanted it GONE! It was too hard to take care of and cost WAY too much! We posted it for cheap on C-list. When they came to help us take it down we found that there was light rust on the bottom of the wall where it went into the tracks.

When my husband talked me back into a new pool I made sure look for one that was as rust proof as possible so no steel or rust able metal.

The new pool has been great with TFP! I even ordered my test kit BEFORE I ordered the pool! I wanted to make sure I COULD do the tests.

The new pool has truly TROUBLE free! No sign of rust and easy to balance and maintain!

Kim

Last edited:
For the life of me I cannot remember what pool we had before. I DO know it was the cheapest pool in our size. It was a long time ago.

The pool we have now is like this one but an older model. They used the same words for ours. I am not sure what the difference in the two as they words on my paperwork matches the words for this pool.

http://www.nationalpoolwholesalers....und_Pool_with_7__Top_Seat_--SKU_PD000852.html

We have had zero problems!

Kim

I'm in Orlando and the pool is in the high 60s. The solar has been off for a few weeks because there has not been enough constant sun. I do not have an automatic valve so that also contributed to the decision to just turn it off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.