Shocking salt water pools?

NewFGOwner

Jul 14, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hello, this is my third year with my salt water pool and swg. We have only shocked the pool when the pool is first opened and 1 time when it wasn’t working and our chlorine went below zero. Otherwise the chlorine is always around 2-5ppm. There is advice all over the internet that you still need to shock your salt water pool. Interested in how others handle. I feel that if my Chloramines are at zero, water is clear, and no signs of algae then why shock. Wouldn’t shocking weekly always leave you with very high chlorine levels? I don’t get it. Also we barely use our pool. Thanks all!

'Shock' as an action is not needed.

Now some stores market liquid chlorine as 'Shock'. That, you need sometimes!

This is terrific, thank you! I kept wondering am I doing something wrong but that was my point. Why add high chlorine like that as a preventative measure. So if there is actually a problem then you slam:). How about for Chloramines. What’s the best practice on TFP ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.