shocking salt water pool

hcpregeant

Jul 27, 2015
Gonzales, LA
I was told by a worker at a pool store that I should shock my salt water pool once a week with a shock product. She said super chlorinating with swc does not do a good enough job. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I have a few stains on bottom of pool that I am pretty sure are not algae. How can I clean these?

Thanks,

Hope

There are very few reasons to step foot in a pool store, and zero reasons to ever take advice from someone who works there.

If you are maintaining your pool in accordance with the TFP guidance, there is no need to "shock" the pool. "Shocking" is not a thing that we do here. How do you test your water, and how often do you do it?

Do you have any pictures of the staining? If you haven't already, read the guide on Stains.

Shock is defined as a sudden, often violent change. The only reason to shock a pool or a person is if they're DOA.

Don't follow advice from anyone who thinks needing either is normal. We got you now. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
hc,

I suggest that you find a pool store that has a clue what they are talking about.. :mrgreen:

Actually, I suggest that you take care of your own pool and leave the pool store in the dust..

I have three saltwater pools that I have owned for well over 10 years.. In all that time I have NEVER added any Pool Store shock packets.. I have also NEVER used super-chlorinate mode on my SWCGs.

Follow our pool care process and you can do the same thing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Why have you never used the super chlorinate feature?
HC,

I guess my point was that it should not be necessary... If you run your FC at or above your target, you should never have to use it.

But, even if your FC goes low, my solution would be to add Liquid Chlorine, as you get instant and predictable results.

TFP is all about teaching how to maintain your pool. Using Super-Chlorinate is not something that I would teach others to do.

I don't have a problem if people want to Super-Chlorinate, I just want everyone to know it is not a requirement to maintaining a saltwater pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
For most SWG systems, Super Chlorinate merely boosts output to 100% (max power) until power is turned off. With proper testing, you can get your SWG output dialed in to provide a metered amount of FC production throughout the SWG runtime. Use Pool Math "Effects of Adding" tab to find out how long and at what percentage to run your SWG to achieve ~4 ppm FC per day. Adjust from there.

1715439052887.png

Regarding the stains, post some pics. This article was posted earlier, but here it is again:

I love 'boost' or 'superchlorinate' or whatevs they want to call it. It's great to pick up a couple ppm before a get together, or after the get together in case of resuduals, and not have to remember to turn it down the next day.

But as said above it is in no way a needed function. It's only for when you have wiggle room above min FC and can afford the long time to add some FC. If the FC was low *now*, you'd need a *now boost* with liquid chlorine.

Reactions: rcs29

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support