Shocking pool without lowering ph?

Can I shock my pool with the hth 7-in-1 hock, without lowering my sky-high ph and alkalinity levels (using extra product, and adjusting balance after I've cleared the new algae bloom)?

Pool is an inground 40k pebble tec pool. I'm not sure why the ph and alkalinity skyrocketed this spring after opening. I'm suspecting our new water treatment system - we fill with treated private well water.

Hardness and CYA levels are good. Ph is around 8.0-8.4. Alkalinity is 180-240ppm. Chlorine is zero.

Yes, I know I need an FAS-DPD kit. I'm ordering one. But for the moment, any tips appreciated.

I know that the high ph and alkalinity are making my liquid chlorine levels dissipate quickly. I have sodium bisulfate on hand, but I'm hoping to shock the algae out and THEN balance. Is this futile?

Attachments

• 20180811_094725.jpg
    20180811_094725.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to TFP.

You will just be throwing chemicals and money into the water trying to do it your way. The algae is making the chlorine disappear quickly, not your pH and TA.

Get the TF100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006C.

Stock up on 10% liquid chlorine.

Put a gallon of 10% chlorine into the water daily until you get your test kit.

Lower your pH to at least 7.8. Your TA does not matter right now.

Once you get your test kit follow the SLAM Process exactly step by step.

Post your test results when you get your test kit.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks for the response. It's been a frustrating pool season. Clear pool. Zero use. Confusing test readings.

I've done nothing in the evenings but read the mentioned articles. I do know that my question is silly if I want to follow the SLAM process to a tee. I feel like a newbie because my pool's personality, if you will, has been constantly "exciting"... If you will :/

It's like it's actually a different pool each year for the last 3 years. Keeps me on my toes.

We opened the pool really early - end of April - to avoid algae growth if we had to wait for pool opening company's next available date due to shutdowns.

They kinda botched the job this year. Everything from sealant threads streaming into my pool, to not turning a pressure valve by the filter, to putting my return jet valves in the wrong places. They didn't open/prep the filter for the season, and I'm not sure where to even begin figuring out if there's something wrong with my filtration system.

Oh, and I was completely overwhelmed trying to work from home with two toddlers. Good news - I never had time to add chlorine until nightfall, as recommended . Hahaha

I was stumped by the fact that our pool was crystal clear for over a month, even with wacky chemical levels. I assumed it was because the water was still so cold.

I did attempt lowering the ph a week ago, with 7lbs of hth ph down. It didn't seem to have an effect. But about 24 hours later, it may have gotten down to about 7.8 (from top test strip reading of 8.4, which I know doesn't mean much since it's the max and chances are, the levels were even higher). That's when I realized that the test strips really couldn't tell me anything useful.

But I'm frustrated. Pool was opened dark green after buying this house, we worked so hard to get it perfect before closing it, and I didn't have a single ph problem that summer, or last summer. I'm not sure why the levels are so high. The only change has been topping it up with treated water, and using a different shock. Yes - I know that both of these can be extremely important. Didn't explain the high alkalinity. Unless it's from the cheap cal hypo we finally got our hands on during the shutdowns.

I've since returned to using just liquid chlorine pool sanitizer (I've got 9 gallons on hand, stocked up) and hth super shock.

Pool has been opened and crystal clear, but unusable due to chemical levels for almost 2 months. I'm really really hoping to use it this Friday for my son's 2nd birthday party (well, it's just family but with balloons, he'll think it's a party :p)

So. How do I speed up the process? I'm thinking that if I clean my filter (pentair sand dollar filter new from sellers in 2018), replace my filter sand, lower ph and alkalinity before slowly manually vacuuming, and then shock... I could pull it off in 3 days?

Yes, I'm laughing, too.

...so, can I add ph decreaser and pool shock in a short time period?

Last edited:
Oh, and a gallon does nothing to add to my chlorine levels . I've been pouring 2 gallons nightly - chlorine only has a reading on my inept test strips by midday the next day when I also add the 7-in-1 shock.

Water itself is "clear" again for over a day. But I'm terrified of touching the algae comforter at the bottom. Because when I tried to boss up on minimal algae a week ago with clear water, the attached photo is what happened.

Attachments

• 20200524_121823.jpg
    20200524_121823.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0047.JPG
    DSC_0047.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The root cause of your confusion are your test strips. Toss them in the trash. Get your test kit. Then you can move forward with reliable science.

Yeah... I realized that it really was futile to try to shock the pool and actually get all the algae without balancing first. So, until I can properly test, I opted to throw in another round of sodium bisulfate and did actually bring levels below 7.8 (on said unreliable test strips). But - at least the chlorine should be much more effective in the meantime, until I can properly test. Figured it couldn't hurt to attempt lowering alkalinity and ph so that the current chlorine additions can do their job a little easier.

Thanks for helping me talk it through to myself. 😊

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.