Shocking pool turns water milky white

If you spend the money on the TF 100, I promise you will not regret it! It is easy to use and understand. I would only add chlorine/ bleach to shock. I will never again add shock bags to my pool. Please don't get down about asking for help. These guys and gals know what they are talking about and if you follow exactly as they recommend it works!

I ordered the test kit today…

So i learend today that if i add a quart of acid to the pool it clears the white milky condition that is created when I add the liquid chlorine. Not sure why, the pool store guy said that it would work so I tried it and it worked. The pool was clear within 30 minutes whereas it would have taken 2 days to filter the milky condition out. Any thoughts on that?

Hi welcome, there are a lot of smart people here. I just started using the TF100 and it's been working great!

It may fix the "problem", but what does that quart of acid do to your ALK or PH?

So i learend today that if i add a quart of acid to the pool it clears the white milky condition that is created when I add the liquid chlorine. Not sure why, the pool store guy said that it would work so I tried it and it worked. The pool was clear within 30 minutes whereas it would have taken 2 days to filter the milky condition out. Any thoughts on that?

It may fix the "problem", but what does that quart of acid do to your ALK or PH?

As Fungi points out, while that addition of acid may help the cloudy condition, it is going to mess with your water chemistry. 1 quart of acid is gong to push your pH down by about .6 and your TA down by about 10.

I see you ordered your test kit so run all the tests when you get it and post results here. Check out the videos of the tests so you can familiarize yourself with them,

Well, I guess I need to go to pool school. Local pool co has me using 3 pucks weekly, use of liquid chlorine once a week to shock the pool, weekly use of All in One Algacide, and Super Metal control. They test the water and recommend Alalinity increaser and Calcium for Calcium hardness on when the test readings so indicate. My CYA seems to be on the upper end - 60 to 80 range. The milky condition the about 2 days to filter out, cleaning the filter daily. It doesn't seem to matter if one of the readings are a little of or all within range, the water gets cloudy with the liquied chlorine. My chlorine readings before I shock are generally FC 2.0 o4 3.0. The pool is used spraringly and the CCis almost always zero (which i have read means no need to shock if cc=0). T
hanks for the comments, I'll start pool school. Any other thoughts?
BTW - when you use bleach, do you use normal chlorox laundry bleach or something else??

well, you are in Florida like myself so I wouldn't recommend bleach from walmart, etc. Its going to be a lot cheaper to buy liquid chlorine (10% bleach) from the pool stores. you will pay a deposit for the 2.5 gallon jug and then pay for refills of that. im in Sarasota and I pay around $4 per jug per refill. a lot cheaper than buy bleach from stores.

you have fallen prey to the pool store and are getting ripped off. read pool school here and save yourself a TON of money. buy one of the recommended kits and post results. based on what you mention as your routine, worried your CYA is going to be too high. you cannot trust CYA readings from your pool store, its probably one of the most screwed up tests by them, and one of the most important.

Looks like you've gotten some good starter tips from folks here already so I'll just say welcome to TFP! :wave:

If you have any questions once you get your kit, please ask! TFP requires that you take control of your own pool and ignore pool store advice. Can't mix the two. It also requires that you spend much less money on chemicals your pool doesn't need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.