Shocking pool for 1.5 months

Aug 27, 2016
Duncanville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Because chlorine was hard to find I decided to not deal with keeping the pool clean in September and October. I started back shocking in mid November and I have been able to find more chlorine. I can finally send the last step and I can see the brush when I'm using it in the deep end. The water is cloudy but I'm noticing alot of sediment or dirt at the bottom of the pool in the shallow and deep end. After vacuuming I noticed that it looks like sand. Is this just dirt collected from being a swamp so long or is this a bigger issue?

Attachments

• 20211228_161541.jpg
    20211228_161541.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211228_161539.jpg
    20211228_161539.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 23
As it has been said slam until the water is clear which apparently yours isn't. Most likely dead algae. When you hit it with the brush do you see it puff like a cloud or just move with no cloud. Cloud like is dead algae and no clouding can be sand but not necessarily as you have neglected it for so long it's probably junk that flew in.How's the filter pressure compared to clean pressure as you may need to backwash or even deep clean. Best case scenario would be to vacuum the floor to waste or vacuum to filter and then backwash. If you want to speed up the process you can add DE to the sand filter via the skimmer till you get 1 psi rise that means a cup at a time, let it run 15 minutes see the pressure and then add again until you achieve 1 psi but only with a clean filter. Be prepared to babysit it as it'll catch much more algae and bring the pressure up fast. Make sure the cya is at 30 minimum but also know what the cya really is cuz if the slam is lower then the cya/fc slam ratio slam won't work.

Is there a certain type of DE that I need? I see some in the lawn area and then there is a food grade kind. I don't want to have to buy a huge bage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211229-100544_Home Depot.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-100544_Home Depot.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.