Shocking New Pool

V.Todd

Jul 8, 2019
Oxford, Mississippi
We finally got the new pool filled. However it took a while and with rain we have algae. During the fill we kept chlorine in the pool with some CYA and brushed it every day so the ins't any rings or slimy feel to the vinyl. The pool is clear enough to see sides and bottom but green tint.
Current readings:
Chlorine 6 ppm
TA-110 ppm
CYA - 20ppm
pH - 7.3
CH - 25 ppm

According to Pool Math we should bring shock up to ten (currently 6 ppm) which we have done. My question is the CYA target is 40 and am at 20 ppm...Pool Math notes to add 3 lbs & 11 oz. of CYA--should I add the CYA to that level while at shock level?

Any suggestions appreciated as this is our first pool.

Thank you!

• Backwash or clean the filter as needed
We have a sand filter and was needing information on when the appropriate time and/or indicators was to backwash or if at all during SLAM.

When filter pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure.

I have been slamming the pool since 8-3-2019. My cc is at 0.5 (since 8-4-2019), the water is clear but when I checked the chlorine early this morning for the OCLT indicates I lost 2.5 ppm last night.
My current weekly readings are: FC - 12.5 PPM
CH - 25 PPM
TA - 110 PPM
CYA - 30
Daily readings: pH - 7.8

Should I continue the SLAM at this point? Any suggestions a to what else I should do?
Appreciate your input

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.