Shocking Info

Gebo

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2023
VA
I have been trying to get my CC below .5 I have shocked with Cl numerous times by going to 12 ppm (CYA 30) according to my calculations. I just couldn't get it down to "0".
Well, today I used that special FAS/DPD chlorine test kit from TFtest kits. Guess what, after adding what I had calculated to be the appropriate liquid Cl to get to 12 ppm, I checked
it and found my FC was only 10. I decided to add more liquid chlorine to get FC above 12. Added 2 more oz and waited 5 minutes with everything running and got FC 13 and 0 CC.

Is it possible I had never been getting my SLAM over 10 and consequently never got rid of the traces of CC?

With a possible 1 drop test variance, .5 CCs is effectively 0 for TFPC when using 10 ml samples.

On a hot tub, with insane bather load proportionate to a pool, trace CCs are pretty much expected.
Well, today I used that special FAS/DPD chlorine test kit from TFtest kits. Guess what, after adding what I had calculated to be the appropriate liquid Cl to get to 12 ppm, I checked and it was 10.
For normal operation, the fine details don't matter so long as you're sure you're free and clear above min. But if you're questioning anything sanitation wise, or are SLAMing, then the details are key. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
The older the water gets the more likely you will have at least some cc’s.
While zero is nice from an ocd perspective - its not necessary to aim for that.
0.5 or less is A ok 👍🏻
Also- clean your beaker with alcohol 😁

;) I make it a habit to clean my beaker. Actually, my beaker is more of a tube shaped cylinder. Are we talking about the same thing?

You tipped me off earlier about cleaning my beaker in an earlier post.

Mdragger88, remember I had CC reading in 1 month old water. I just noticed today that after getting the Cl up to a "measured" 12 ppm, I got clear water in my beaker.
Maybe just a coincidence, IDK? I'm wondering if my 6 month old liquid chlorine may not be 10% anymore.????

I'll clarify and synopsize this thread......A CC reading of .5 cc IS ZERO

No exceptions, no variations.....no over thinking.......it is zero. Therefore, if you follow TFP procedures, a .5 cc test result of combined chlorines doesn't really exist - it is zero.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.