Shocking for 30 days, no luck.

Sep 1, 2013
Had an algae outbreak while my pool was closed for the winter. Water was very dark green. In late May I started shocking and the water turned gray. Fast forward to June 26th and the water is a blueish gray color.

I am using liquid shock from Menards, two bottles per day, running the pump 24 hours a day, clean the filter every day after work, brushing the pool once per day.

Any suggestions ? I have attached pictures of the water as results from the test strips I have.

Attachments

• IMG_4942.jpg
    IMG_4942.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_4939.jpg
    IMG_4939.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_4935.jpg
    IMG_4935.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 261
There is 1 very simple suggestion ... follow the SLAM Process process.
To do that, throw away those test strips (which are notoriously worthless) and invest in one of the recommended test kits. Given that you have to SLAM, I recommend the TF-100 with XL option.

I wish you would have come back to us for help instead of losing an entire month and likely a lot of $ on bleach.

As Jason said, we base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

While you are at it, please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• List what test kit you use to test your water
  • The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Looks like you had a very similar problem 4 years ago and all the recommendations were to purchase a test kit. Did that never happen?

Yes I bought a test kit. I believe it was a Taylor ? The water cleared that season and we maintained the pool for the rest of the season. I believe the following spring, for an unknown reason, my wife sold the kit in a garage sale. I have not purchased another kit since but will be ordering one shortly.

Yes I bought a test kit. I believe it was a Taylor ? The water cleared that season and we maintained the pool for the rest of the season. I believe the following spring, for an unknown reason, my wife sold the kit in a garage sale. I have not purchased another kit since but will be ordering one shortly.

Wow. Uhm...how did she expect to care for the pool y'all already had without it, I gotta wonder?? :drown:

I'd go for the TF-100, your pool looks like it needs it and it is a better buy (more reagents that you'll use most often).
Don't hesitate- Summer's Here!!! :sunny:

Maddie :flower:

Wow. Uhm...how did she expect to care for the pool y'all already had without it, I gotta wonder?? :drown:

I'd go for the TF-100, your pool looks like it needs it and it is a better buy (more reagents that you'll use most often).
Don't hesitate- Summer's Here!!! :sunny:

Maddie :flower:

I ordered the TF-100. It should be here tomorrow. I'll post the results after the first test.

Any tips for first time testing ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

While you are at it, please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• List what test kit you use to test your water
  • The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

I edited my signature per your suggestion. A couple of things to add: Over the past month or so the liquid shock I was using came from Menards and is a brand called "Splash Pool Shock". I used a clarifier twice recently and it was the "Clorox Pool&Spa Super Water Clarafier".

Since my last posting I stopped adding shock as I waited for my test kit to arrive. It was delivered this morning. I ran the following tests with these results:

Chlorine Drop Test:
Free Chlorine = 1.5
Combined Chloramines: 1.5
Total Chlorine: 3.0

Taylor K-1000 Sure Check:
Cl = <.05
pH = 7.2

I have a few questions after testing:

Should the chlorine levels from the dropper test and from the K-1000 test have been equal ?

Should I do additional tests for calcium, alkalinity and CYA or just begin the SLAM process ?

You do need to know your CYA level for the SLAM. It's vitally important.

do the test with your back to full sun, holding the vial
at waist high, then slowly pour solution until it starts
to cloud up. look away, then at the black dot, then
look away, then again at the balck dot....pour more
solution until it just barely shows visible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.