Shocking after finding a dead animal

With a 30 cya level it says 4-6 fc is ideal correct? Today I just tested and it was 5.5 with a cc of less than .5. 12 is what you keep it at when slamming correct? At least that's what I understood it as. This is my first year of doing the SLAM way. I was a new pool owner when I first joined and all that talk was very overwhelming so the past 2 summers I did it the shock every week or two and used the phos free.
Yes, but you said the following earlier so I wanted to make sure it was understood. When you are performing a SLAM, it’s 12. Normally should be 4-6.

My cya levels are 30 and the recommended chlorine level is 4-6 with SLAM.

Yes, but you said the following earlier so I wanted to make sure it was understood. When you are performing a SLAM, it’s 12. Normally should be 4-6.
Ah I see your confusion lol....I guess in my mind it's all slam as opposed to what I was doing last year. But yeah I'm not actively in the process of slam. Just maintaining my fc levels between 4 and 6.

Correct.

If you keep your FC in the recommended range, you shouldn't need to shock or SLAM. The key is to maintain your FC at the recommend range.

re: dead critters - I know it seems creepy, but a dead mouse is a tiny fraction of the size of a dog. It's not even as big as a dog's foot. Would you shock your pool if your neighbor's dog jumped in? Just sayin....
Lol my dogs are in there often. I know the concept but my head just won't convert out of the need to shock. I am down to just shocking when dead animals are found or we have a big party but it's a bit mental hurdle for me. I guess I just wanted to come and hear everyone say it's OK. I'm getting there though....slowly but surely.

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Lol my dogs are in there often. I know the concept but my head just won't convert out of the need to shock. I am down to just shocking when dead animals are found or we have a big party but it's a bit mental hurdle for me. I guess I just wanted to come and hear everyone say it's OK. I'm getting there though....slowly but surely.
Seems various animals are routine. Through Summer, very little debris falls into my pool but I still check the skimmers every morning. Have managed to rescue a snake and a couple frogs so far :) . Sadly, the one vole so far was a goner :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.