Shock and PH minus

EuropeanPool

Aug 7, 2020
Iasi, Romania
Hello,

From what I’ve seen around here, a shock will increase PH. Therefore, first the shock, then the PH minus.

I use granulat for shock.

How long should I wait until I can add the PH minus? I saw somewhere 15-20 minutes.

What do you, people, advise?

Yes, an elevated FC level of about 10 or more will cause the pH to rise a bit. When we are preparing for a SLAM Process and increasing the FC level, we advise to lower the pH first, then increase the FC. Yes, about 20 min separation with good water circulation should be fine.

What exactly is your granular shock? Can you post a picture of a label?

If you’re using a stabilized shock like Dichlor I think it will actually lower your pH. If you are slamming your pool (SLAM Process) we would generally recommend liquid chlorine for that. If your shock is calcium hypochlorite, that might be OK but we can’t say so for sure without seeing a full set of test results.

Can you share more info - what is wrong with your pool? Why are you wanting to “shock” it?

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry before adding anything to the pool.

Granulatchlorine. But a straight answer would really help me. Is it first the chlorine and after the PH? Or viceversa?
I’m sorry but I do not know what the chemical composition of Granulatchlorine is. And without knowing what it is, or how much you're adding, it’s hard to give you a recommendation as to what order to add things in.

If you’re intent is to keep your chlorine level under 10ppm then I’d probably add the chlorine first, wait 20 minutes, retest your pH, and then determine if it still needs to be adjusted.

However, if your intent is to bring your chlorine level above 10ppm, then you won’t be able to accurately test pH after adding it. - in which case, you’d want to lower the pH first.

But if you lower your pH first to 7.2, and your shock contains CYA, then your pH might end up below 7 which is not good.

See why it’s hard to give you advice without complete info?

Post up a full set of test results, a picture of the label of the chemical your adding (or a link to it Online), and let us know what you’re trying to accomplish. Then we can give you direction that will help and not harm your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.