Silver Supporter
Feb 23, 2022
Dickinson, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have read through about every article and post given my search abilities on the subject, so sorry to rehash what is already hashed a thousand times over. But, while I understand some of differences, I'm not able to piece together reasoning of different methods. Naturally, the pool store recommends I use a 1-lb per week shock. Regardless, just do it. From what I gather here, just maintain the FC at least 2.0, monitor FC, CC, and keep eye out for algae, then SLAM when needed. So, just for my peace of mind on the protocols, no shock as maintenance, ever, or do, then when?

You test your water chemistry. You maintain the FC/CYA Levels, and you follow the SLAM Process if you let your water chemistry get away from you and testing indicates you have algae.

You mentioned 2 ppm FC. There is no target level at 2 ppm FC.

T,

"Shocking" is a Pool $tore method of routinely adding Pool $tore shock in an effort to keep algae at bay.

"SLAMing" is a onetime method of getting rid of algae. It can take anywhere from one day to a couple of weeks to get the job done correctly. Once the algae is gone, it should not come back. If it does, then the SLAM was not done correctly.

I have three TFP saltwater pools that in total are over 25 years old. In that entire period, I have never added a single bag of Pool $tore "shock". If you keep your FC and CYA at the proper levels, it is just not needed.

You cannot pick a magic number for your FC valve out of the air. Without knowing your CYA level, the proper FC number is unknown.

See this chart.. FC/CYA Levels

Thanks,

Jim R.

You test your water chemistry. You maintain the FC/CYA Levels, and you follow the SLAM Process if you let your water chemistry get away from you and testing indicates you have algae.

You mentioned 2 ppm FC. There is no target level at 2 ppm FC.
OK, yes, that's the ticket!!! Yes, I also understand the FC/CYA aspect of the FC. Now that I see the two methods but see the better approach, it all makes sense. Thanks!!

So, just for my peace of mind on the protocols, no shock as maintenance, ever
Never approach minimum per the FC/CYA Levels minimum sounds OK, but it is not ok. It is a one way ticket to swamp town.
or do, then when?
When you don't worry about regular testing and just throw some tabs in twice a week like the pool store says, you'll be adding CYA with each tab, requiring more FC for the same sanitizing. It will quickly spiral out of control needing frequent shocking. But don't bother testing anything (per them). Just dump and pray. *fast forward to next week* here's another $78 in shock. It worked AWSOME last week, right ? Cleared you right up ? Here, grab more tabs too. And this $46 bottle of PoolRX911. It will help the shock work better.

The definition of 'shock' is a sudden or drastic change, often violently. The only reason to shock a person or a pool is when they are DOA.

T,

"Shocking" is a Pool $tore method of routinely adding Pool $tore shock in an effort to keep algae at bay.

"SLAMing" is a onetime method of getting rid of algae. It can take anywhere from one day to a couple of weeks to get the job done correctly. Once the algae is gone, it should not come back. If it does, then the SLAM was not done correctly.

I have three TFP saltwater pools that in total are over 25 years old. In that entire period, I have never added a single bag of Pool $tore "shock". If you keep your FC and CYA at the proper levels, it is just not needed.

You cannot pick a magic number for your FC valve out of the air. Without knowing your CYA level, the proper FC number is unknown.

See this chart.. FC/CYA Chart

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks! I understand now! Much appreciated.

Never approach minimum per the FC/CYA Levels minimum sounds OK, but it is not ok. It is a one way ticket to swamp town.

When you don't worry about regular testing and just throw some tabs in twice a week like the pool store says, you'll be adding CYA with each tab, requiring more FC for the same sanitizing. It will quickly spiral out of control needing frequent shocking. But don't bother testing anything (per them). Just dump and pray. *fast forward to next week* here's another $78 in shock. It worked AWSOME last week, right ? Cleared you right up ? Here, grab more tabs too. And this $46 bottle of PoolRX911. It will help the shock work better.

The definition of 'shock' is a sudden or drastic change, often violently. The only reason to shock a person or a pool is when they are DOA.
That's exactly how I treated my above ground 20+ years ago. My only previous pool. And, that's why I never understood why I had to drain and refill once every season. Twice if I put it up dirty and loaded with CYA, a term I didn't even know existed then.

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.