Sheer Descents - 1" or 6" Lip for Gunite Pool?

jetranger

Jul 19, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
Hi there, simple question. I see 1" and 6" lips available on sheer descents, yet the mfgs don't really specify which on is for what type of pool/install. I'm guessing most builders know, but I don't as an O/B.

Thank you.

What specific sheer descents are you looking at?

I think the lip depends on the type of wall it is on, the height of the fall, and the throw you want.

I think the lip depends on the type of wall it is on, the height of the fall, and the throw you want.
Thank you for the reply Allen.

I am looking at Jandy, Tomaso, and CMP. Open to other suggestions though... Probably going with two 24's or one 48", and it will be 24" above water line. Not really digging the LED type. Cool concept, but to me it just looks like a row of LEDs on the wall, as it doesn't really illuminate the water as its falling down.

I'm guessing that maybe the 6" will provide a smoother descent?

Have you seen a RBB with the 6” lip when it’s not in use?
I like the look of 2-24” spread out evenly over the look of a single 48”
I can't say that I have... So you're saying the 6" lip protrudes out from the tile? I thought it was more of an install thing so that the 1" or 6" would both be flush with the tile, but the 6" would be set back into the wall more.

The 48” spillway looks cleaner if your drawing is to scale. The 24” RBB is longer than I expected and two 24” spillways make it look too chopped up in my opinion.
You never stated if this was a remodel or a complete build, either way advise the Shotcrete crew that the back side of the RBB will be tiled so they finish it by hand and not just remove the forms and abandon.

Reactions: jetranger
I have a similar knee wall being put on my fiberglass pool after concrete. Something I noticed with the CMP 5ft wide is that the 2" plumbing has to be as far forward as the pool will allow for the lip to protrude enough for the water not to hit the concrete edge. I def couldn't use a 1" lip version with my pool but with gunite pool it might work.

Reactions: jetranger

The 48” spillway looks cleaner if your drawing is to scale. The 24” RBB is longer than I expected and two 24” spillways make it look too chopped up in my opinion.
You never stated if this was a remodel or a complete build, either way advise the Shotcrete crew that the back side of the RBB will be tiled so they finish it by hand and not just remove the forms and abandon.

Do you guys think there's any way I could get by with a 60" sheer with a 3hp 011056 VSP?

We had a 36" at our last house and it was PLENTY of flow with a similar pump... we ran it about 1,800 rpm typically and it would project about 8" away from the wall at 24" off the water height.

This one (new pool build) will also be 24" above water level. I'm thinking about 2,200 - 2,500 rpm might give a good flow out of a 60", but I might be way off.

Do you have any suggestions or input? I wish there was a way to try before I buy!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you guys think there's any way I could get by with a 60" sheer with a 3hp 011056 VSP?

We had a 36" at our last house and it was PLENTY of flow with a similar pump... we ran it about 1,800 rpm typically and it would project about 8" away from the wall at 24" off the water height.

This one (new pool build) will also be 24" above water level. I'm thinking about 2,200 - 2,500 rpm might give a good flow out of a 60", but I might be way off.

Do you have any suggestions or input? I wish there was a way to try before I buy!
I Have to run my Hayward tristar vs900 at 70-80% with the CMP 60" and the returns shut down. the lip is around 16" from the concrete and about 3" back from concrete edge. as long as there's not a lot of wind it clears the concrete by about 3" if i ramp the pump upto 90-100% it clears the concrete lip by around 5-6".

I Have to run my Hayward tristar vs900 at 70-80% with the CMP 60" and the returns shut down. the lip is around 16" from the concrete and about 3" back from concrete edge. as long as there's not a lot of wind it clears the concrete by about 3" if i ramp the pump upto 90-100% it clears the concrete lip by around 5-6".
Thank you so much for the great info!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.