Sheer decent filter

pskkd930

In The Industry
Jan 19, 2022
Atlanta
I have 2 sheer descents both 24 inches long so the manufacturer recommendation is to run them at 24 gpm each. I also bought a "Jandy 2888 Ray-Vac Pro Series Energy Element Filter Kit with Gauge" to install to make sure nothing gets in the line to clog them up. We are still in the build phase. Pipes are run to the equipment pad, but nothing is connected at the equipment pad yet.

The suction coming in is 2.5 inches and is coming from 2 of 4 drains at the bottom of the pool. The lines going back to the sheer descents are each 1.5 in and run independently to the equipment pad. The filter I bought above is also 1.5 inches and is rated at no more than 60 gpm. Does anyone have any experience with these and will one cover it without significant flow losses? My other option would be to use 2 of them and run a 2 inch pipe from the pump to the diverter valve and then 1.5 inch pipe on each output to an independent filter and then to the sheer descents.

Option 1 is to have 1 filter and reduce the pipe from 2 to 1.5 on the filter input, continue with 1.5 inch pipe to the diverter and then 1.5 to the descents
Option 2 is to have a 2 inch pipe to the diverter valve, step down to 1.5, have an independent filter for each sheer descent, and keep 1.5 down stream.

Best to keep water velocity below 51 gpm with 1.5" pipe.

I would do option 2 so your max flow into the diverter with 2" is 48 gpm and out of the diverter into 1.5" is 24 gpm for each pipe and filter.

Are you talking about using a 3 way diverter as a T for the two sheers?

I would run the 2" into a T and then put a 2 way diverter and filter on each 1.5" leg to the sheer. That way you can individually balance the water flow to each sheer.

I have a Jandy sheer descent with no filter and never had any issues in 5 years. They come with a clean out tool which I've never needed.

Thank you both. Seems like so many people have them and don't have any issues. I'm just really afraid with it pulling from the drain it might pick up a rock or something and let it go through and then it will be a big issue.

I would run the 2" into a T and then put a 2 way diverter and filter on each 1.5" leg to the sheer. That way you can individually balance the water flow to each sheer.

Allen, you think two 2-way diverters are better than a single 3-way in this case? I already have the 3-way, but if there is a benefit I'm certainly willing to trade it out and get the 2 ways.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.