Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Planning to put a shed like this over my pool equipment.

IMG_1225.jpg

For venting the 400,000 BTU gas heater, it looks like we need to do this:

Planning to add an eave with vented soffit across the front. Is this likely enough for venting two pumps?

Wondering if the heater should be vented through the side of the shed instead of the roof?

My solution was to get rid of the roof. I built a "bunker" below my pool (I'm on a hill), but it could just as easily be on the same level. Maybe 20-25' wide. The gas heater (left) and two huge propane tanks (right), as well as the equipment pad (left) and a large padlocked Rubbermaid storage box (center) for chemicals, vacuum, etc. are all in it, and you can't see in the top from ground level. I put white stone on the bottom, and the back walls are Allan block. No heater ventilation issues, and lots of room to work on equipment, but I do have to blow/rake out a few leaves in the spring. Two doors, wide enough to get replacement propane tanks and equipment in and out. I added extra door catches on the outside front wall so the doors will stay in the open position when working on equipment, backwashing, or when the propane guy is topping up the tanks. I installed a wired light on the outside of the bunker for the parking area below the pool, but just a solar one inside as I seldom work on the pool after dark, and there's lots of light during the day.

Attachments

• bunker4.jpg
    bunker4.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I built a lean-to over my pad. This is an old pic. I recently doubled it in size. Plenty of room to keep everything dry unless there are crazy strong sideway winds, and it helps keep the cold frost off of things in the winter. Obviously it helps tremendously by keeping the brutal south-Texas sun off of that pad which is a target on the west side of my shed.

full

Reactions: Newdude and derekm
I built an equipment shed about four years ago using treated lumber and cedar fence pickets. I was limited in height so I made part of the roof removable for filter service. I vented the MasterTemp heater through the back wall. I'm not sure if everything complies strictly with installation instructions/requirements, but I've had no heating failures. When you build, keep in mind you may need to access equipment for repair and replacement. I used screws on all fence pickets so they can be removed and replaced. Small gaps between the pickets the seem to provide enough venting for the heater and pumps.

20171123_130926.jpg
20171125_110038.jpg
20171201_164341.jpg
20171210_153302.jpg

I built a lean-to over my pad. This is an old pic. I recently doubled it in size. Plenty of room to keep everything dry unless there are crazy strong sideway winds, and it helps keep the cold frost off of things in the winter. Obviously it helps tremendously by keeping the brutal south-Texas sun off of that pad which is a target on the west side of my shed.

full
I like this a lot, no concerns about ventilation, takes care of UV rays. I'm a bit concerned about another frigid winter like we experienced in TX this past winter. We heard stories of equipment freezing and taking several months to replace. Maybe wrap the equipment in this scenario?

Naive question, can the pump run while it's covered with a tarp? Seems like we want to pump to continue running right?
Good question. We DO want the pump running all the time. What you can't see in this pic is that I have a small bit of the motor exposed so it doesn't overheat by being wrapped too tightly. I'm more concerned with the wet-end really, but just use good judgement. While Feb '21 was an exception, history typically has shown that if we keep the water moving and take moderate measures to keep the pad sheltered from the freezing rain and such, it will be okay. Of course ......... have a Plan B just in case. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While Feb '21 was an exception, history typically has shown that if we keep the water moving and take moderate measures to keep the pad sheltered from the freezing rain and such, it will be okay
It was ok in Feb too. Until the unforeseen rolling blackouts kinda messed up the whole ‘running’ thing. :ROFLMAO:

But. Now we know to make a plan B and have all drain plug locations located before it’s 2AM, 15 degrees and pitch dark.

• Haha
Reactions: Texas Splash
Naive question, can the pump run while it's covered with a tarp? Seems like we want to pump to continue running right?

Your IntelliFlo pump has a fan in the rear to cool the motor and drive electronics. Don't wrap the rear very tightly. The pump has its own freeze protection and will turn on in cold weather unless disabled.

Reactions: JoeyBagODonuts
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.