Sharp Crystals on our pool surface

lifeboy

Apr 20, 2021
Ellicott City, MD
Moved from here.
Wow. I am now a little hopeful after reading @jeffr47 's last post. I have a virtually identical situation here and live right near jeff so may have similar winters and snow/rain fall.

Last year we moved to a new house with an old 22,000 gallon pool and spent a small fortune getting it repaired. We re-plastered and opened it in May 2020. The plaster was SUPER smooth all summer and fall. We closed in November.

Last week we opened to discover a bed of spiky crystals on virtually every horizontal surface of the pool. Our pH was off the charts. The crystals are being picked up by our Polaris by the pound. They dry a powdery white. I seem to be able to pry off some of the crystals that I can reach using just my fingernail. But vinyl-brushing for the last 3 days has not seemed to help as far as I can tell from above the water's surface.

I haven't mustered up the nerve to walk into the freezing water of the shallow end just yet. But I got my foot on one of the lower steps today. I had been brushing that spot but it feels quite uncomfortable to stand on. I can only imagine how bad the rest of the shallow end feels.

We have balanced the water now and have been hoping for improvement with the brushing. But, it sounds like some more intensive treatment may be required. I am just glad it is still early in the season!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lifeboy, welcome, sorry it is under these circumstances.

Can you provide a full set of current test results, using a reliable test kit of your own? We need to know-
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

How do you sanitize your pool? What else have you added to the water?

Maddie 🐞

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.