Shallow 3’6” vs 4”

IcemanK2

Silver Supporter
Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, TX
We are not very tall people My wife is 5’6” and I’m 5’8” and the other adults that will use the pool are shorter.

Anyone similar in size have experience with these depths? 3’6” vs 4’ shallows. Which one and why?

My wife is 5 feet and we literally just had this talk.

I keep walking up to her and the kids with my tape measure and then putting it on me (5'8 like you).

I was originally plowing ahead with 4' as the plan but she has me reconsidering now for the same reasons you are probably posting this question.

We are designing a pool for us to use and i know my wife isn't getting any taller

I'm 5'9" and my wife about 5'4" and we went with a 4' shallow depth (most of the pool actually). 4' seems perfect and we're definitely glad we went with it. It would seem too shallow when standing in it had we gone with less. The kids can't stand in it yet, but they are jumping and swimming the whole time anyway and wouldn't be wading around in the pool even if they could - unlike us adults.

Keep in mind that the shallowest depth is only at one point in a gunite pool. It slopes down from that point.

So this 6” difference is very split even with people of similar size.

Right now we are set at 3’6” to 4’6” in the middle then back up to 4’ on the other end over a 48’ length. In theory the 3’6” end will get the most hanging out in. That’s why I’m curious.

So this 6” difference is very split even with people of similar size.

Right now we are set at 3’6” to 4’6” in the middle then back up to 4’ on the other end over a 48’ length. In theory the 3’6” end will get the most hanging out in. That’s why I’m curious.

It sounds like you are designing a "Sports" or "Play" pool. If you haven't used the Search feature here with those terms, you might find more historical comments from those of us with these types of pools that have 2 "shallow" ends.

The activity you plan to do in the pool can inform your decision. If you plan to set up a volleyball net, or play jai-alai, or throw a football or frisbee, then you want it shallow enough to move your arms to catch/hit, etc. We have stools and a bar in a cut-out off to the side at one end that also requires shallower water for a good hang-out area on the opposite end of the steps.

Our shallow water depth is shorter than we'd like, but partly due to the remodel that didn't remove all the previous layers completely. We are of similar height to your household and our shallow ends are around 39". I wish it was deeper. 48" would definitely be too deep; 42"-44" would be about right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We went with 3.5/5/4 depth. If we had it to do again it would be 4/5/4. 3.5 seems to be just a bit too shallow.

I prefer 4' because I can stand in the pool chatting with friends and neighbors yet less of my muffin tummy is on display, lol. Bathing suits are always such an emotional vulnerable thing to wear in front of others, y'know?

Maddie :flower:

As you can see most here, who have 3.5 foot depth, wish it were 4 foot. I see where everyone congregates in my pool. Generally, although the 3.5 foot end is where the entry and sunshelf is located, most people seem to prefer the other (4 foot) end of the pool.

Did I read correctly that the pool is going to be 48’ long? With that much length the 3.5/4.5/4 plan may work well. The 3.5 will go to 4 pretty quickly, so actually 3/4 of the pool length would be 4 foot or more deep. Considering your heights and desire for a less depth, that may be a useful solution.

I am happy with our 3'6"-5'-4' combination - but I don't think it would be a big deal if it was 4' at both ends. My son liked the shallow end 3'6" better, but that was before he grew a bit more...

I think you would be fine either way - but I agree the longer lengths of your pool makes the slope to the deeper section less pronounced.

Is there a reason for the 4'6" center? A little deeper is more common. I like our deep middle section at 5' and I can barely stand on my toes there and breath normally...

I am happy with our 3'6"-5'-4' combination - but I don't think it would be a big deal if it was 4' at both ends. My son liked the shallow end 3'6" better, but that was before he grew a bit more...

I think you would be fine either way - but I agree the longer lengths of your pool makes the slope to the deeper section less pronounced.

Is there a reason for the 4'6" center? A little deeper is more common. I like our deep middle section at 5' and I can barely stand on my toes there and breath normally...

So the 4' 6" center is for walking lap exercise. My folks live down the street and plan to use it for walking so the center can't be too deep plus might use it for volleyball.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.