Shade Sail Question

I bought the cheapest I could find last year and they worked for one year. We put them up again a month ago and within a week they began to rip. To replace them we looked online at Home Depot and paid a bit more and the material is heavier, more true to size.

Reactions: Gladius Nova
I will agree with the "get what you pay for" comment. I have had the "coolaroo" brand in my back yard for over ten years. Stainless mounting hardware and corner grommets (mine are triangular) I use the coated cable and clamps from Home Cheapo to secure them to the block walls with lead shields and lag eye bolts.

Final Panoramic 7.13.2019.jpg

Reactions: Chickinvic
Oly,

Please keep that a secret as mine apparently don't know that yet.. :) They have been up for a little more than two years and seem just fine so far.. Only time will tell. Mine stay up all year.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Goal was to reduce pool temperature and that has worked. Provided they are put up in advance of the 103 degree air temps, pool now stays in the low to mid 80s.
Side benefit it has slightly reduced my FC loss by 0.5ppm per day.

Jimrahbe
Those are good looking shade sails (I'm a bit jealous ?) . $30.00 and two years? I would say you are way ahead at this point. From the photo, they don't look as though they have incurred much if any sun damage or fading at all.
Very nice!
r.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Goal was to reduce pool temperature and that has worked. Provided they are put up in advance of the 103 degree air temps, pool now stays in the low to mid 80s.
Side benefit it has slightly reduced my FC loss by 0.5ppm per day.
Oly
I like it. I have been thinking about shade sails for a while but seeing this thread has just made me think about them even more. This might have to be my "project" over the winter. :)
Thanks for sharing the info...
r.

My first one was a 13' x 20' around $120 and I had it up for two years, been through 80 mph wind storms. I do live in Kansas. It's the one shown in my avatar.

The ones I have now are two triangle that I bought for $30 or so a peice. They seem alright.

For installation I used 3.5" od 3"id steel pipe 5' in the ground, and wire rope.

I put these up over the last couple weeks. Got the different sizes on Amazon. Pretty hefty weight. The hardware and rigging pulleys, rope etc. cost as much as the sails at 35-45 a piece. I experimented a lot with positioning and rigging and wanted to be able to take them down if a hurricane or supernatural storm is approaching. They make a huge difference. We get a lot of Florida sun and these keep the water below 90 (84-89) on the hottest days. Before this, we’d be above 90 in the water by noon. I haven't had to take them down yet even with some good storms.

Attachments

• B3B1DE90-97EE-4DEA-AECC-357DDF984328.jpeg
    B3B1DE90-97EE-4DEA-AECC-357DDF984328.jpeg
    576 KB · Views: 101
Meaning some cost a lot more than $30. Can't have them in Tuscola, well can but would have to take them down whenever the wind picked up which would be, just about, daily.
Actually you can. Look at putting a spring tension on the point end, it will allow it to give some with the wind. They suffer more from up blast or down burst.

John

Attachments

• 038462005905.jpg
    038462005905.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 11887262.jpg
    11887262.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 13
I'm just some guy but I would not recommend putting a spring on the lines allowing for movement. Proper installation of the poles or anchor points with properly installed and tightened lines will make a sail last in the wind over one that moves and whips in the wind.

My sails have been up in confirmed 80 mph wind with no problem, light wind when a turnbuckle gets loose has caused problems and ruined the sail in my avatar picture. I got two years out of that one up every day in the spring and summer.

78 mph wind gust. The sun sail here were supposed to be temporary, it dosnt fit the poles right and have some slack. $30 version. There is two only one got destroyed. 20 semi trucks blew over with this storm.

Attachments

• IMG_20190813_195833.jpg
    IMG_20190813_195833.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20190424_121044.jpg
    IMG_20190424_121044.jpg
    585.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
78 mph wind gust. The sun sail here were supposed to be temporary, it dosnt fit the poles right and have some slack. $30 version. There is two only one got destroyed. 20 semi trucks blew over with this storm.

Do not take this wrong,
1. Your poles are way undersized, they flex way to much and that attributed to the issue 70 MPH winds or not.
2. Poles should be set with a slight 2 degree outward lean so you can tighten then sail.

John

They were not flexing at all, 1/4" wall thickness 3.5 od 5' in the ground. The whole pole moving in the hole, 6" hole moving up to 8" in the spring.

They had more than that lean out 3 years ago, when I move the poles in the spring I'm going 8" holes minimum, 5' in the ground minimum, with a Max of 10' out of the ground. And I'm getting a better rectangular sail like the first one I had, as in the avatar.

I put these up over the last couple weeks. Got the different sizes on Amazon. Pretty hefty weight. The hardware and rigging pulleys, rope etc. cost as much as the sails at 35-45 a piece. I experimented a lot with positioning and rigging and wanted to be able to take them down if a hurricane or supernatural storm is approaching. They make a huge difference. We get a lot of Florida sun and these keep the water below 90 (84-89) on the hottest days. Before this, we’d be above 90 in the water by noon. I haven't had to take them down yet even with some good storms.
Hey, I know your post is old but I really like the shade sails that you put up.

I have a pool cage going up in the next week or so and my pool also gets a ton of Florida sun.

Could you share more information on how you hung the sails?

TIA!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.