Severe Green Pool Algae Problem

It is really simple. first you need to buy the right test kit -- trust me on this.

I have no idea on how people take care of their pools anymore blindly, without a kit. My friend who used to go to the pool store now comes to me for testing. He does have the basic kit, but weekly, I will run a few tests for him. His pool is now crystal clear and has stopped using 3" tablets. Now using liquid chlorine. His CYA was at 60 and with limited circulation, algae started forming. The strange part is that for over 10 years he has had algae issues. I have not seen a trace of algae since TFP.

Your own testing is necessary (bottom line). Yes, while it may be tempting to wait in line at the pool store and watch everyone walk out with hundreds of dollars worth of rebranded Borax, Baking Soda, Clarifiers, shock, phosphate removes, algaecides, and other chemicals to clear up their pool (This is why they are there as a problem exists)., I have better things to do.

Hi, just used the TF 100 Test Kit also the water is crystal clear

FC 2.5

PH 7.5

CYA 80 to 90

Thanks

IMG_20170801_182704 (1).jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
20,000 Gallon IG plaster with integrated Spa
Pentair Clean n Clear Plus 420 sq. ft. Cartridge filter Pentair Whisperflo Energy Efficient, 3/4 H.P. WFE-3
Pentair Master Temp 200,000 BTU Natural heater TF 100 Test Kit

Attachments

• IMG_20170801_182704.jpg
    IMG_20170801_182704.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 61
Good job at getting a quality test kit to take control of your pool water chemistry.

Your FC is too low for your CYA. See the chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Use bleach/liquid chlorine to raise your FC so that at its minimum during the day you do not fall below the target level. Normal pool use is 2-4 ppm FC per day.

Take care.

Hi, Thank you LFrankow and mknauss and everyone for the help I don't think I could have done it without all the help I will look at doing Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) but did have a question chlorine level seems low have been having hot weather for the last week looking at the Pool math it shows 90 oz of 10% Chlorine would this be everyday? unill we get to 5 PPM?

FC 1.5

CC 1

CYA 90

TA 140 or 150

PH 7.5

____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________
20,000 Gallon IG plaster with integrated Spa
Pentair Clean n Clear Plus 420 sq. ft. Cartridge filter Pentair Whisperflo Energy Efficient, 3/4 H.P. WFE-3
Pentair Master Temp 200,000 BTU Natural heater TF 100 Test Kit

Last edited:
Ok I myself am seeing two things, one missing and one wavering.
PH ? very important to get this one set up.
Cya kind of wavering so try this
What I do now is mix the pool water and reagent, shake for 30 seconds, let it sit while I gather FC/cc and ph numbers.
Reagitate the cya mix, pour it into the test cylinder to the 100 mark, then outside back to the bright sun at waist level I glance at it, if I can see it I add to the 90 line and repeat, going up in lines until it goes away. If you stare at it you will see it a lot longer the trick is the glance. Once I have a number I am confident with I record that, then pour the mixture back into the mixing bottle and repeat the test, I can usually get 4-6 tests out of a sample as the sample is good for close to 15 minutes. Take an average of the numbers and I am good to go.
It used to drive me up the wall until the guys , mknauss etc. turned me onto this trick.
Yes we will turn you into a bleach lugging junky :) but there are options, first the pool

Your water looks a little green to me and I don't think you have finished the SLAM.

Your SLAM isn't complete until all three criteria have been completed: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

1. Water is crystal clear (no more green, no more visible algae, can clearly see the main drain cover screws). It still looks green to me.
2. CC is 0.5 or less. You failed this one.
3. You pass the OCLT. You haven't conducted this, so you haven't passed it yet. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Also, can you post your CH?

Further, please fill out your signature. It helps us help you better: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.