Lake Worth/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My pool is about 5 weeks from fill. The pool installer gave very little information and training and I have been using TFP for expert assistance. Could someone advise me on setting my heater bypass valve? Should I open it completely to the heater during seasons I use the heater for the pool and spa? I have a Jandy JXI heater. How do I turn it off completely if I bypass it? I cannot find this in the online documentation. Thanks.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 65
Yes when heating you will want all the flow to go through the heater (handle pointing up in your picture). If you want to completely bypass the heater the handle would be down (pointing toward the return lines. In normal non-heating use you can leave it with the handle pointing to the right which will allow flow both through the bypass and through the heater, which accomplishes the goal of reducing the load on the pump but still allows water through the heater. For heating you will also want to find the minimum pump speed that will allow the heater to fire and run and then add 200 RPM and set that at the heating speed in your automation.

I'm surprised your builder didn't supply the built-in bypass that's available for the JXI heater. That's a lot more convenient as operation is completely automatic.

My pool is about 5 weeks from fill. The pool installer gave very little information and training and I have been using TFP for expert assistance. Could someone advise me on setting my heater bypass valve? Should I open it completely to the heater during seasons I use the heater for the pool and spa? I have a Jandy JXI heater. How do I turn it off completely if I bypass it? I cannot find this in the online documentation. Thanks.

Jim
When heating, all flow should go to the heater. Do you have automation? Heater is off unless you turn it on. If completely bypassed it won't light even if it it is "on" according to the operating panel.

When heating, all flow should go to the heater. Do you have automation? Heater is off unless you turn it on. If completely bypassed it won't light even if it it is "on" according to the operating panel.
I have the iAquaLink automation through the app and control the heater, etc. that way. I have the valve fully open up to the heater and closed pointing down, hope this is correct. Thanks for the reply.

Yes when heating you will want all the flow to go through the heater (handle pointing up in your picture). If you want to completely bypass the heater the handle would be down (pointing toward the return lines. In normal non-heating use you can leave it with the handle pointing to the right which will allow flow both through the bypass and through the heater, which accomplishes the goal of reducing the load on the pump but still allows water through the heater. For heating you will also want to find the minimum pump speed that will allow the heater to fire and run and then add 200 RPM and set that at the heating speed in your automation.

I'm surprised your builder didn't supply the built-in bypass that's available for the JXI heater. That's a lot more convenient as operation is completely automatic.
Thanks so much for the reply and explanation. How does the built in bypass look different from what I have?

For heating you will also want to find the minimum pump speed that will allow the heater to fire and run and then add 200 RPM and set that at the heating speed in your automation.

That is a fine procedure for setting the flow for a SWG.

You want more then the minimum flow that engages the pressure switch in a heater, especially a gas heater.

Thanks so much for the reply and explanation. How does the built in bypass look different from what I have?
The Jandy JXi with VersaFlo activates the built-in flow bypass valve based on call for heat to avoid running water through the heat exchanger when water does not need to be heated. JXi heaters with VersaFlo factory installed receive a 5-Year standard warranty on the heat exchanger.

Its internal to the manifold. This part is installed. Called a VersaFlo. Automatic operation. Notice that when it is in bypass mode (heater off) some water still goes through the heat exchanger. You should set your bypass similarly when used to keep water from evaporating in the heat exchanger and leaving deposits.
1689519466896.jpeg 1689519532990.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Its internal to the manifold. This part is installed. Called a VersaFlo. Automatic operation. Notice that when it is in bypass mode (heater off) some water still goes through the heat exchanger. You should set your bypass similarly when used to keep water from evaporating in the heat exchanger and leaving deposits.
View attachment 514050 View attachment 514051
Thanks for the explanation. My heater model is JXI400N, so NO Versaflow. Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.