Sequestrant following Resurfacing: How Long?

Elian

Nov 10, 2022
Daytona, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Question regarding how long I should apply Jack's Magic the Magenta Stuff sequestrant after an SWG pool resurfacing 30 day start-up period:

SWG pool was resurfaced eight weeks ago with a Florida Stucco plaster pebble finish. A week following initial fill I paid the PC and they disappeared so I immediately started researching resurfacing start-up procedures as I was on my own. So per the NPT start-up guide I learned about on TFP forums I added a 32 oz bottle of Magenta Stuff sequestrant and then each week since I've based on my pool size added an additional six ounces of Magenta Stuff. I've kept the pool water balanced and chlorine levels per the TFP recommended for my SWG CYA level. Aside from when I brush and stir up the plaster dust water has always been very clear.

I've continued these weekly six ounce sequestrant additions to help prevent plaster staining and also to hopefully help with controlling the heavy amount of plaster dust I've been working to eliminate. I understood from reading the Magenta Stuff product instructions that this sequestrant would in addition to binding to metals and calcium for plaster staining prevention would also help with binding to plaster dust making it more efficient or easier for my cartridge filter system to capture the plaster dust from my regular brushing and vacuuming.

Now it seems I've finally got the post-resurfacing plaster dust situation under control because when I currently brush the pool walls and floor surfaces I do not immediately see thick, cloudy white dust wafting into the pool and making all the water milky looking for two days while its filtered and/or settles back down to the pool surfaces.

I currently have a bottle of Magenta Stuff left which would equal six more weekly six ounce applications. How long should I continue to add this sequestrant? I do not believe my city fill water has any metal problems, my pool plumbing is PVC and the heater's core/heat exchanger is titanium so I'm not seeing any need for sequestrant use for resurfacing post-startup metal staining prevention now other than maybe to continue helping with binding to any residual plaster dust for the next few weeks. I've also read here that continued sequestrant use (or over-use) can contribute to buildup of phosphates that can promote algae growth so I don't wish to create that problem from sequestrant over-use.

Any advice here on best practice for when to discontinue sequestrant use for a SWG pool post-resurfacing startup would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

After 8 weeks you don't need to continue to add sequestrant if you don't believe there are any metals in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.