Septic riser cover ideas

Futuresvt

Mar 7, 2020
Georgia
Hey everyone my pool construction is underway. Gunite was just done today.
I have two septic tanks side by side. The far left tank has a septic pump and already a riser installed (green lid) in the photo. The septic company wants to install two more risers onto the right tank. However these will probably be right in my pathway to the pool. I am having belgard pavers installed for my decking.
Has anyone made a custom lid or cover to hid the ugly green riser lid?

red Xs are the general location of the soon to be installed lids
Blue line is a rough sketch of my pathway. Haven’t confirmed with the PB.BE2A9ACA-379D-4FDC-B4A4-6045EBD81E13.jpegE2775484-AB52-4733-9057-665212FBBD48.jpeg

Thats tuff. Especially if they are large 2' lids. I think I would turn that area into a planter and wind my path around it. Plant something there to hide it. You could also do pavers and cover the lids with a few inches of sand. A good map will let you know what pavers to pull to get at them. Dig a few inches to the covers then place fill back in and after service. A lot more work though. I would not replace the lids with something else but cover them. You don't want any stinky leaks.

I had the same problem if you will but a different layout. I put risers but left them a few inches under grade and have a fake grass area. When time to service, I will have to make a couple of cuts and roll the turf back. Then use seam tape and nail it down. The upside is a will only have to do it every six years or so.

Can you cone off the right side of the patio with the walkway? What is to the right of the patio?

Reactions: borjis
I like the idea of leaving them a few inches below grade and covering with pavers. Would 3 inches be right to allow for an inch of sand and 2 inch pavers? My concern is the stability of the other pavers around the riser. But I guess people do this all the time.
Don’t judge the mess haha. But I can’t move the walkway over to the right. 549AC927-C69F-45D7-B5A8-7C97D658182A.jpeg

For our septic, I just outlined the whole thing in a xeriscape design, but didn't cover the lids so the tech could do his quarterly inspections (aerobic septic). But here's one concealment idea ...

Capture Septic.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
I would think 4-6 inches of base above the lid, then the paver. If your lid is too thin it can have some bounce to it. I would see if you can get a stronger lid. Adding a nice thick base should help with the pavers being stable. If you do this, I would recommend placing thick plastic over the lids before base material. It will keep sand out of the screws.

Texas Splash mentioned quarterly inspections. That's something to consider. Where I live, that is unheard of. 90 percent or greater of septic tanks in our area do not have risers and are a foot or more under grade. They recommend servicing every 4 years. I know many who double that. So for us at least, it is not a concern.

Are you having the pavers professional installed? Even if you aren't, call for an estimate and ask about the risers. At least you can get some free advise.

Yes I am having the pavers professionally installed. It’s through the PB so I haven’t been able to talk directly with the installers. PB has been somewhat busy and short with us as of late. I am somewhat put off at the lack of helpfulness but that’s another story. I have contacted a septic company to come install risers. I will be able to choose the final height so I am thinking having the lids 4-6 inches below then adding base and sand.
If I place a thick plastic piece over the lids. Wouldn’t that be difficult removing without removing a number of pavers above?

By thick plastic, I meant like a 6 mil plastic sheet. Like a black trash bag but thicker. Lay it over the lid and down the side a couple of inches. Then the dirt over. Just so the dirt is not actually on the lid and getting the screw heads clogged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.