Semi inground/above ground manufacturer suggestions needed

padlocked17

Aug 4, 2021
SE PA
Good Afternoon all,

We are wanting to get a partial inground/partial above ground pool but need some help identifying the best manufacturer / brands. The pool will be installed in a sloping backyard which will make 1/3 of the pool completely inground and the remainder will be going with the slope to remain exposed and will end up being finished in stone. We are not looking for a circle or oval pool, but would prefer a freeform, L shape or rectangle. Looking for a sun ledge, and walk-in steps as well.

We looked at Aquasports but they don't seem to have the shapes / features we want although they seem to be considered the best from what I have seen so far.

What are the best brands out there to look into that are constructed well and have longevity?

Welcome Padlocked !!!! Search up Optimum and Radiant pools. They are thick resin walled panels that interlock as opposed to the traditional sheet metal pools that only come in ovals / circles. You can configure them with more options. You can also bury them some, or completely. (y)

Also look at inground vinyl lined pools
+1. Steel walled vinyl pools can’t do what you’re looking to do with the slope but a concrete walled liner pool can. It’s basically a house foundation that they drop a vinyl liner in and call it a day.

Reactions: cowboycasey
If you do end up going with a traditional shaped above ground / semi inground, look for one like this with no legs. 1CA9BB1A-B58F-4DEC-8089-65DC7EF7B5B9.jpegI believe it was a sister to the Aquasport. Notice the ribbed 5 inch panels that interlock instead of using legs to hold a sheet metal one piece wall in place. I thought I’d have an easy time removing this 17 year old pool with power tools and it LAUGHED at me every step of the way. These pools are $7k-9k and about double the traditional ones, but even the bottom rails, buried in the dirt for 17 years looked as good as new and took a sledge and a crowbar to break apart. 323E470D-8F2B-4B8C-BD2B-F80E917831E7.jpegThe pool laughed so hard at my 5X thick sawzall blades that I put a cut off wheel on my circular saw. (A top of the line Skil saw). It laughed even harder at that.

Welcome Padlocked !!!! Search up Optimum and Radiant pools. They are thick resin walled panels that interlock as opposed to the traditional sheet metal pools that only come in ovals / circles. You can configure them with more options. You can also bury them some, or completely. (y)
Awesome thanks. I'll check into those 2.
+1. Steel walled vinyl pools can’t do what you’re looking to do with the slope but a concrete walled liner pool can. It’s basically a house foundation that they drop a vinyl liner in and call it a day.
Forgive the ignorance, but how do I go about finding one of these? Is it just a matter of calling pool installers and asking about this particular style? Are these 100% configurable just like an inground would be or are there preset shapes / sizes the liner will be?
If you do end up going with a traditional shaped above ground / semi inground, look for one like this with no legs. View attachment 361550I believe it was a sister to the Aquasport. Notice the ribbed 5 inch panels that interlock instead of using legs to hold a sheet metal one piece wall in place. I thought I’d have an easy time removing this 17 year old pool with power tools and it LAUGHED at me every step of the way. These pools are $7k-9k and about double the traditional ones, but even the bottom rails, buried in the dirt for 17 years looked as good as new and took a sledge and a crowbar to break apart. View attachment 361555The pool laughed so hard at my 5X thick sawzall blades that I put a cut off wheel on my circular saw. (A top of the line Skil saw). It laughed even harder at that.
I had looked at Aquasport just based on the quality and ability to install semi inground, but they really lack shapes and styles ... which is unfortunate. I saw they have a rectangle Admiral's walk model, but I wouldn't want the integrated walkway around it ... which seems like a huge waste to buy all of that metal just to not use it. If that model you have was just a rectangle vs the wonky shape, that would be something we would look into pretty seriously.

Thanks everyone for the initial vector on what to look for.

Forgive the ignorance, but how do I go about finding one of these? Is it just a matter of calling pool installers and asking about this particular style? Are these 100% configurable just like an inground would be or are there preset shapes / sizes the liner will be?
Yup, yup, and yup. They pour a concrete wall which can be built with house foundation forms, or shaped / free form like a gunite pool. There are standard configs like kidneys, rectangles and ‘L’s, but you are only limited by your imagination. Well, and your funds I guess too. These pools will be expensive compared to an above ground pool, but still maybe half of the gunite/plaster pool. Whatever shape you dream up they measure and make you a liner for it.

Another option for your preferred style would be a steel wall vinyl pool but those don’t have the support behind them (the dirt) with your slope.
. If that model you have was just a rectangle vs the wonky shape, that would be something we would look into pretty seriously
If an above ground/ semi in ground not the thick resin wall pool, like the radiant/optimum, It will be limited to circles/ovals with a steel wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.