Seem to be using a lot of stabilizer

^^^^^ What he said.

We get life gets in the way and do what you need to do. But I would keep adding 5ppm of FC in the morning and again in the evening which seemed to be what you were losing. Do that for at least one more day.

So in my hurry to leave to get to my event I did not add more liquid and I did not go out to the pump and switch on the cell. Ugh. I hope that I was right I appear to have passed the overnight and that it will hold ok today. I will throw some in when I get home but was wondering if I can now let it settle in around 10 today or should I hit one more dose. If the crud was behind my light I am hoping it is done. If not I may call the builder and let them come out and take it apart and clean it all I think they were the ones that set me up for failure. This holding chlorine has been a issue for a really long time and my pool is pretty new. I felt they were sloppy on the start up but I am a rookie at the pools. I surely hope today it stands up and holds if I have to start this over my wife and kids will disown me even though they can swim at the 20ppm they can smell some of the chlorine and they are sensitive to it. They are good when it’s at 8 or so. No complaints at all. I need to get my stabilizer back up to 70 and hope Ph and all are good.
You guys have been good and patient sorry for being difficult.

Its your pool, and you can do whatever you want. I would give it at least one more day at 20. Even when that done I would run high for a few days after that. I would keep it at 12. Most people have to do 2-3 OCLT before they are fully complete.

I dont quite understand your post, have you not removed and cleaned behind your light? If not that needs to be done. Otherwise the moment your FC drops to normal the algae will be back.

I know pressure from family, but just think about whether or not you want to do this again or not. Being extra diligent now will save you from this again.

Have not removed the light. I have had very little time. I work two jobs had sick kids and dealing with this pool has been enough. To take apart apart the light and everything else just hasn’t been a free time to do it. I get this isn’t easy but I don’t have enough of me to go around. I guess I have to take my chances at this point. If it comes back I will have to do everything again, not that I want to but I just have run out of time this week. And I can’t keep buying chlorine and testing over and over while I wait to have time to tear stuff apart to fix it. I may just call the builder and have them send the cleaning guys out and let them deal with it. Pay all this money to be told I never have to use chlorine, the pool is so easy and follow their rules everything will be great. Well since the first day the weather went from colder to hot I have been fighting chlorine issues. 3 visits by the builder saying nothing is wrong pool is fine equipment is working. People in here telling me I am not listening and getting on me for using several pieces of advice. I am trying to fix the pool but I don’t have a million hours to take stuff apart and dump gallons of chlorine in a pool I was not ever have to do this. I am frustrated as I think the builders set up guy didn’t set the pool right and it’s had algae since the beginning. As I followed the steps here and the builders requested things just to continue for months watching the level go up and down. I will try to make time the tonight and tomorrow to keep level up more. Will try to find time to take apart this light and figure it out. Or just leave it I am tired

not frustrated at the people here frustrated with fighting with a pool since March or February

With being unable to test. It seems the level is still high. The sample turned more red than pink. I am going to clean the filter and vacuum today. I am hoping the level stay ok. I did not add chlorine yesterday as it was raining pretty hard and I got home from work pretty late. It looks like we are going to have a few more days of rain. I may try to test stabilizer today as well and maybe bring it up. I think I can say it’s ok at this point. Will now keep levels up to 8 for awhile

Any news on getting your reagents?

Just to confirm, its not in your signature, your light has a niche right? At some point you are going to need to remove that and clean behind it. Until then keep your FC higher than normal to keep the algae at bay. If you have algae behind there and you drop down to even the recommended levels then the algae will take hold again. You will need to keep LC at home so you can dose quickly. The SWG will not produce enough quick enough if your FC drops.

Important to note, this advice is not the recommend practice. Following the SLAM precisely yields the most predictable and best results.

BTW if it is going to rain for the next couple of days due to the tropical depression nobody is swimming anyway right? Why not extend the SLAM.

Supposed to may be the reagent Monday. Tracking info is all messed up. I have the level up still today I just don’t know what it is. I may try to get light out today. I don’t know how to take it out but may try. The level appears to be holding but I guess you are right if it slips it could come back. Guess I can attempt to remove light today if I break it oh well at least the crud would be gone. I have liquid chlorine now at home. Should have enough to hold out for a little while. The loss seems way less.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. I vacuumed pool. Scrubbed all the baskets. Cleaned out umbrella hole. Checked light. Nothing really to report on the light. Vacuumed around light. Ring and mount all clean nothing even remotely concerning. cleaned filter really well also

Chlorine still appears to be decently high.
pool is very very clear. My wife said it looks better than she’s ever seen.
stabilizer looks to still be around 50 may add that after I get reagent for chlorine to be sure I don’t go out of whack.
found nothing really in filter but was dirty.
not sure if ph level is good.
i think I am safe.
system is still off and filter still running
Liquid chlorine on standby if something seems out of whack before reagent arrival
Wish I knew my chlorine level and how much loss since Thursday night at 8pm. Judging by color when I put powder in sample it looks pretty dark. The regular quick test is pretty orange. Wife said she doesn’t smell chlorine as bad or at all today. Water smelled and felt clean when I checked light. Felt like it was a little high in level to me but eyes don’t really hurt or not itchy.
maybe I won??

Ok, sound like you might be there. When your reagents arrive do another OCLT. If you pass you are done.

However, lets keep your FC on the high side. Comfortable for your family but higher than the standard recommend level. Your SWG should be able to manage it easily. Keep some LC on hand always so that you can boost as needed.

Once this rain start enjoying the pool!!!! You will love your crystal clear TFP pool.

Per the app if I am at 70 cya it suggests 5 but I think I am going to aim for 8 for now. Think I should be ok as it seems the current level is falling slow but not sure. I am a little nervous at this point as I have no idea where anything is for sure. They pool looks outstanding I just hope it’s set now.

Still no reagents but I turned my cell back on this am as a precaution with all the rain. I don’t appear to have dropped below 8 and that’s just turning back on this am. The target per app says 3 for my current stabilizer so right now as long as I am showing over 5ppm until I can get my real results I am feeling good. The good news is I didn’t add anything since Thursday night and I seem to have held really well any other time I would have been zero in no time flat. So I think I have successfully completed my Slam and feel that thus will be my new go to for info and stay on this trouble free path now.

+1 with mknauss. My 7,500 gallon AG was likewise using 4-4.5 ppm per day until very recently up here in TN in order to daily target FC 7-9 with CYA at 60. That's when my pool water was near 90 degrees. I'm now down to about 2-2.5 ppm per day with the temp around 80 and CYA calculated at 40 and targeting FC 5-7. The demand seemed to drop suddenly in half in no time as the sun angle began increasing at an accelerated rate.

I also started noticing a quick drop in CYA from early August until now. It had stayed at a pretty steady 60 from May through July (now at around 35), but it's been very rainy up here lately. I've used the extra water to vacuum to waste a couple times, which may have accelerated my CYA loss.

I manually dose with bleach, aka LC, but manual dosers are also very keen to FC demand, because we reload daily and test two-to-three times per week to help us stay in target range, and so I sort of subconsciously do the math when I test and keep track of how much FC is being consumed, which helps us detect any issues as well.

Since I appear to be over 10ppm. How do I adjust PH. That seems a little high right now so I added a half a cup to technically bring it to around 7.5. I under shot it on purpose. I assume the higher level bleach’s the red some? I at least wanted to get my ph down below 8 in case that’s where it was. It showed about 8.0 on my test. But since I don’t currently know my chlorine level I just added the little less than a cup figuring the level at 8 or a little less on PH. Should get me around 7.5 or so.
a lot of rain today so I feel like the pool is holding really well, just want to keep Ph close and get ready to raise my stabilizer once I know the chlorine level. Turned off cell for the night but left pump on one more full night. Pool looks like glass and seems to be much happier.

Looking good. Let’s hope you get the reagents today and lets pass one more OCLT to call it done. Now lets talk about recommended ranges. Ignore the minimum column. I use the recommended level as the minimum.

For example I usually keep my CYA at 70 ( I shoot for 80 but it degrades down pretty quick). At 70 I like my FC at 9. Gives me room for errors. If it ever drops below 8, that sets off alarm bells for me and I quickly dose it with LC to bring it back up. Then I adjust my SWG to keep it at that level. Even at those levels my wife who complains about sensitive skin does not notice the chlorine.

Read other posts, you will discover this fact. All the experts here run their FC hot (and have not had to SLAM in years). All the people that have algae and problems let their FC drop to the minimum at some point. What do you want for your pool?

That’s what I have been looking at the last couple days. My plan is to get back to 70-80 for stabilizer. Then stay around 10% of that level for FC. Gives a decent buffer and when the cell is working well it can stay pretty consistent on its amount. I run pump usually 9-10 hours a day but since I started slam it’s been running 24. Want to get it back on it’s normal schedule Reagent is supposed to be here today. I can say in just the few hours I had the cell on yesterday it jumped up the level as I went darker yellow orange. By the quick test I haven’t fell to 5 ppm yet with the little I added which is way good for me I would have been done in a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.