Seeking input on this design

Cyclist7531

Bronze Supporter
Jun 27, 2019
Central Valley California
We received the design rendering from the first company and I'm seeking input from all the creative people out there. We have one more company we're dealing with and should have their design this week.

In this design the pool will be about 13' at it's widest point by 30' at it's longest length. It will be 3.5' to 6' deep pool. The entrance to and from the house is on the left side where the table and chairs are shown (we plan on erecting a 10'x10' gazebo - the cedar type from Costco) on that side. On the right side he has cement all the way to the fence. We want to have some planting area there in that shaded area behind the loungers. The pool equipment has to go where it's shown but I think it needs to rotate 90 degrees and be closer to the back fence. There are no setback requirements here on equipment other than being 10' from the neighbors house which it would be. We wanted to incorporate a wall and include some stone that matches the stone on our home which he has reflected in the pillars between the sheer descent. The deck will be salt finished concrete to match the existing cement that goes off on the left side of the yard (where it's showing as brown now but in reality is currently cement that goes off from there and around that side of the house. We are not removing that cement).

In general, we're ok with the design. We knew we wanted the raised straight wall along the back fence but wasn't sure about the raised curved wall coming off it, but
it's growing on me.

A few thoughts:
1. Not sure about the small grass area behind that wall. Would have to water and mow it but not sure what else I might do there. Maybe gravel with a palm or some other planting. Would also want to put some type of screen (maybe bamboo wall around the equipment).
2. The location of the entry steps. Maybe move them down a bit into that lower curved area so there is a straight swim lane although granted 30' isn't much of a swim distance so maybe it's not that important.
3. Initially, we were thinking plaster but may opt for Microfusion pebble in Laguna. All they do is white plaster and we wanted something darker. Waterline tile is undecided. He is showing blue but not sure if we'll go blue or maybe a buff brown to match the stone and tile on the raised wall.

Once we finalize the design concept he will price out the build.
I've added a picture of the existing yard. It's not a great picture but most of the yard from the pond down will be ripped out.

Anyway, please offer any and all thoughts.
Thanks, Mark

Attachments

• PP1.jpg
    PP1.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 87
  • PP2.jpg
    PP2.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Mark,

I am not a fan of the "wedding cake" stairs.. I find them awkward to use..

If this were my pool, I would see how I could integrate more conventional shaped stairs..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I like that your stairs are smaller and don't take up the entire wall. Our old pool had stairs across the entire shallow end. For our new build we did the wedding cake stairs and tucked them into a corner for a longer swimming lane. We also extended on of the stairs as a "bench stair".

Thanks Jim. I hear what you are saying. The neighbor’s pool has that style and I too found them a bit awkward. I’m sure how to change it though. Any ideas?

Mark,

I'd look at squaring off the top end of the left side of the pool, making the wall a couple of feet longer and add standard stairs there.. It would allow you to use the wall as a railing, and it would move the current stairs out of the longest path for lap swimming..

I would ask your designer what ideas they have..

Jim R.

I just now got time to sit down at the computer. Boy do I have some ideas!!! Here we go!!!

-I like the raise curved wall on the right of the water wall. Adds much visual interest!
-lose the grass. Much better way to use it. You have some good ideas already. You do not want want your equipment pad to bee too small! Make sure to put a light out there.....you will thank me the first time you have to go out there at night
-I drew something for you to think about................bench is the solid black, steps are the lines. That leaves the swim lane open and leaves more room to play in the shallow end. (I got lazy and did not paint over the current steps but they would be gone in the real pool.)

If you do not like my idea that is okay. It will not hurt my feelings.

Kim:kim;

Reactions: RuralTexas
Kim, thank you for taking the time to look at the plan. I agree with losing the grass. Also, I mentioned to him about needing light out there by the pad. Those steps might work. Otherwise I think he may need to come up with another idea. Overall, we sort of like it.

As an alternative here is the design the other builder came up with. It’s more or less just the pool as the rest of the design really isn’t reflective of the yard. I’ll have to discuss that with her to get a better idea of where it's going to be in the yard compared to the house, fences, patio areas, and how the decking will be shaped. I guess I sort of have to take this pool and plop it down into the other design to get a sense of how it would look in our yard. I think we like this shape and the entry better. The one thing I think we might like a longer raised wall. Don’t know. Thoughts?

Mark

Attachments

• TP1.jpg
    TP1.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 42
  • TP2.jpg
    TP2.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here’s a few more ideas to think about as you narrow down your design. . . Tried to work around the sitting area on the right, but if that space can be used for pool, it could open up some more options. Also would need to consider the actual table dimensions - i think only a small table would fit Where I have it, especially if it steps up 6” like the sketch.
DF7134B9-B527-4C2D-BF7E-187694A64009.jpegEF73C457-7DCB-4A65-92C4-A1CFB2ED839A.jpeg

I dislike the overly squirly curves shown in post #8.... you lose a lot of pool space with those curves.
I really like your original design in post #1, with Kim's suggestion of pushing steps into the curve. Longer swim lane is a good thing.

My two cents.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.