Second SLAM

May 30, 2017
Ramer
I am in the middle of a second SLAM due to letting my FC get below the recommended levels leading to a failed OCLT. My CYA is at 40 so I really had to up my FC levels. With that said, my question lies with the CC level. I am going to do an OCLT tonight, and I just tested my CC and it came back as .5 or lower, but this is the first time it has ever came back positive. What is the cause and solution?

As chlorine kills algae, it can leave behind the remains of the breakdown. And again, some pools always test for up to 0.5ppm, without a problem. I wouldn't worry about it at this point as your SLAM is over when:
1) Pool is perfectly clear with no sign of algae
2) CC are 0.5 or less (see, you can still have 0.5, and it may burn off and disappear tomorrow)
3) You do an OCLT last and lose *no more* (hopefully less) than 1ppm FC

Got it? :) Give the sun a chance to burn off your lonesome (I hope) 0.5 CC tomorrow.

Maddie :flower:

So another question, is the pool math calculator always right? Just after dark I tested FC at 13.5 so I added what the pool calculator called for, tested again about 2 hrs later at 19ppm. The first SLAM I performed, the calculator was pretty spot on, but that seems like it's off pretty bad.

Well its a 30 ft round pool, 48 inches deep (6" below the 54" walls)......that gives me 21200 that I've been rounding down to 21k. Even if I was 1k gallons off, that would have only been a 4 oz difference in chlorine added. That did cross my mind, but it wouldn't explain why the last round was spot on and this one was badly overshot. I guess it's better to go over than under.

So, will you lose more FC during the day when you have a high FC (16 ppm) during a SLAM? Will i experience less FC loss once i let my levels drop to the recommended range? I didn't have this much trouble the first go round, I promise. But now I'm trying to maintain a 16 ppm FC, but I've checked it 3 times today. It was 17 before sun up (lost 1.5 overnight), 10 at lunch, 10 at 4. The time before when I was slamming the initial fillup, I was only losing like 4-6 ppm a day. Losing 6 ppm every few hours will make it impossible to maintain my FC levels after the SLAM.

Steele, you'll definitely lose more FC during SLAM if for nothing else, the sunlight using it up. Add algae and it's going to consume it quickly.

Are you sure your CYA is accurate?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.