Seal Plate Gasket Failures

Dilbydog

Silver Supporter
Jan 14, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I have a older Hayward Northstar pump that keeps eating seal plate gaskets. Generally, the gasket will last a season, and when the gasket had previously failed there would be a loss of vacuum once the pump shut down, but no loss of water while the pump was operating. Fast forward to yesterday, when I found that the pump lost prime. I re-primed the system and started the pump. As soon as pressure started to build, a high pressure stream of water erupted from the 12 o'clock position of the seal plate housing. When I pulled the motor and seal plate from the housing I found the seal plate gasket in two pieces. I'd like to limp this pump through this summer and replace the pump and my aging automation system during the off season. Any idea's on why these gaskets are failing with this level of consistency? I've used both Hayward brand and third party gaskets with similar results.

Thank you,
Dill

Probably time for a new pump.

Do you have pictures of everything?

Are you lubricating the gasket?
Hi James… I agree it’s time for a new pump. I’m trying to figure out what I can do with my Caretaker system so I don’t need such a hog of a pump. As for photos, unfortunately I threw the gasket away in disgust. I have noticed that previous leaking gaskets had a bit of a candy cane stripe in them, like they rolled or twisted. Yes, I do lube the gaskets.
Just threw a new gasket on.. fingers crossed it lasts more than a month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.