dcarpenter

Sep 15, 2023
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I replaced my 1 hp motor with a 1.25 not realizing that it may be too much for the pump housing. When we put it back together the Hayward Seal Plate Replacement for was leaking. Im hoping this would have happened anyway because it is 30 years old. The housing seems fine even though its 30 years old. Should I replace the whole pump housing instead of the seal plate? Also, Am I going to have trouble using the 1.25 motor when it always had a 1hp?
Thanks

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Your question actually creates a few questions of our own. To help guide you, let's start with a few key points:
- 30 years is a very long time for a pump. Very lucky. Prepare to replace it.
- What make/model of pump (and motor) are we talking about? Please post pics as well as any labels or descriptions of each.
- When swapping to a slightly stronger motor, there could be other issues to consider like the impeller size, but we'll come back to that later.
- A pic of your equipment pad and updating your signature would also help. All of these factors come into play when determining the ideal pump size for your pool.

Let's start there and see what we can do to help you.

I replaced my 1 hp motor with a 1.25 not realizing that it may be too much for the pump housing. When we put it back together the Hayward Seal Plate Replacement for was leaking. Im hoping this would have happened anyway because it is 30 years old. The housing seems fine even though its 30 years old. Should I replace the whole pump housing instead of the seal plate? Also, Am I going to have trouble using the 1.25 motor when it always had a 1hp?
Thanks
Check the service factor on the old 1hp pump. Multiply that by 1 and you get the true, total horsepower of the old motor. If it is more than 1.25, then yes, you will have problems. New motors are labeled with their total horsepower. A 1.25 hp motor would have been labeled a .75hp with a service factor of 1.65.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.