SE PA Pool Build

Jul 12, 2010
Long time lurker on this site. Its really an amazing wealth of knowledge available and the pool experts are so helpful.

We are in the process of getting quotes (along with 100's of other people it seems) for a gunite pool, 3.5'-8', apprx. 700 sf, boulder wall with jump rock incorporated. We have two quotes, waiting for a third. Some of it is so hard to compare, they all us different equipment, different options, different build styles, but we'll try our best to make an informed decision.

So far one builders uses all Pentair, the other all Jandy. Any preference? The Pentair guy has has a Sta Rite 500 sf cartridge filter listed, the other has a 60 s.f. DE filter. It seems this site prefers the cartridge filter. When asked about switching to cartridge, he said DE filter finer particles and at night the water might look cloudy with a cartridge. Anybody with a cartridge filter have cloudy water?

Pentair guy has an Intelliflo SVRS VS spec'd. I know i've read on here that the SVRS has some detractors. I did bring that up with him, his response was he could replace it with just the VS, but he's put in 700 or so of the SVRS with no issues. Are they still giving people issues?

I'm sure i'll have many more questions. We are 1st time pool owners. I can no longer postpone the inevitable. My wife will be getting her pool that i've managed to delay for some time now.

Hey durden and Welcome !!
The Pentair guy has has a Sta Rite 500 sf cartridge filter listed, the other has a 60 s.f. DE filter. It seems this site prefers the cartridge filter

The order of least filtration to most is Sand, Cartridge, DE. But we are talking microns (millionths of an inch). The naked eye cannot see a difference but it does help some folks sleep better at night so there is that. You will find millions of happy users of all 3 and it’s the Chevy/Ford/Dodge debate just on a different topic. For some areas with steep water bills and no drainage options, the cartridges work best with the least amount of waste water, which some areas also have to pay for in their sewer bill. Every 5-10 years you have to replace the cartridges so that cost factors into some decisions as well.
but he's put in 700 or so of the SVRS with no issues. Are they still giving people issues?
They have no business in a modern pool with several suction spots. The main drains will equalize the pressure so it’s virtually impossible to get trapped, and it will also pull from at least 2 skimmers with the same principle. So the pump will trip for many reasons anytime it detects a blockage. Could be when vacuuming or if a weir door sticks for 3 seconds. It’s random and annoying and if you don’t catch it right away it stays off until you realize it. Many of us have them, and we just deal with it but if you can avoid it in the first place you’ll be better off.

Thanks Newdude! The pool placement wont be close to any drainage options, so a cartridge might be our best option. I remember draining and cleaning my parents pool DE filter, and i like the thought of the easier cartridge as well.

Good info on the SVRS. I've been doing some research, and it seems that the VGBA should cover most of the safety features built into the pool that would be needed for a safe swimming environment.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Newdude
. I've been doing some research, and it seems that the VGBA should cover most of the safety features built into the pool that would be needed for a safe swimming environment
It will cover the safety side 110%. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.