Screenlogic protocol adapter & storm

May 24, 2010
Southern NJ
It looks like I lost my protocol adapter due to a storm last week. I took the adapter apart and noticed that it is made up of two circuit boards. The top board is the one that connects your 4 wire power & communications and also has the red led light to show the unit is active. A second board (below) is the network adapter that plugs into the main board. I noticed after the storm that the red light was not on, but I do have power to the unit. after unplugging the network board the red light is now on. I was able to find the network board online. I was wondering if I purchased a new network board, the unit would function. I know that I will have a new six digit address. Any thoughts? The network board is much cheaper then a new protocol adapter from Pentair.

Was the protocol adapter hard wired to the Easytouch system?

Let's get @Jimrahbe in on this as I believe he has had this issue in the past.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the boards that make up the adapter, but.......

I had my ScreenLogic hardwired and when my neighbor took a lighting hit, it took out the EasyTouch's com port, my protocol adapter, plus everything connected to that network line..

I now use the wireless link... :)

Jim R.

Did this fix the problem? If so could you provide addl details?

Wouldn’t a line surge protector (from house to subpanel) prevent this?

No it will not... A line surge protector only stops what comes in on the AC power line... What we are talking about is coming in on the small 4 wire cable between the ET and the Protocol adapter inside the house.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I believe, but I'm not positive, that the circuit board that the 4 wire connection is to, is not fried. The part I believe is fried, is the network card portion. Remember, the protocol adapter has two independent circuit boards that fit together. I was able to find the network board from an electronics supplier. It's called a Rabbitcore. 112282

You could well be right, and it will be interesting to find out if the card fixes your problem or not.. Maybe your card just died, or maybe the spike came in from the network side?? If so, it will be unusual, as all the ones we have seen so far came in from the ET side and took out several things..

Please keep us updated..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i have the same issue with the original protocol adapter that came with the pool. I'm thinking I should get a free replacement as the pool is only 6 months old? (warranty?) (red light died)

@starrock77 - out of curosity did replacing the network board get your protocol adapter running like new? Can the 4 wire COM board be replaced just the same? If so then we have a easy way of repairing the protocol adapters should they go bad!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.