Aug 25, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
So I moved into a new house with new pool. They obviously didn’t use TFP. I’ve got my chemistry good I think so I’m wondering if the scaling that’s already there will eventually go away now that my CSI is in range. Any knowledge on that?

29000 Gal Pebble tech, spill-over spa, magnasweep cleaning system. Hasa liquid chlorinator. Intelliflo control. Taylor FAS DPD test kit.

Not in any significant way. You can try manually getting it off the waterline with dilute muriatic acid. The quick way is to hire a company to do kieserite blasting it off.

With careful management of your CSI, (keeping it on the negative side at least -0.3, but never, ever over -0.6), some scaling will slowly disappear, but it would take a long time and some very careful management. Also as any scale is dissolved, the CH reading in your water gets higher, and higher, making it more and more difficult to manage the CSI. That leads to draining to reduce CH.

I had some scale when I started with TFP, and was successful in removing it over time. But it took a long time and was a PITA to manage. I wish I had just had it blasted off and started fresh.

I cleaned all my scaling with a pumice stone and a lot of elbow grease when my calcium reached high levels earlier this summer...is that a no-no? Didn’t seem to scratch any of the tiles...maybe I just didn’t notice?

Yea I used the elbow grease method on my old pool. Vowed to never do that again. Now I have a larger pool to manage and guess I’ll just have it acid washed once I drain it post season.

29000 Gal Pebble tech, spill-over spa, magnasweep cleaning system. Hasa liquid chlorinator. Intelliflo control. Taylor FAS DPD test kit.

Acid washing will reduce the life of your finish. It doesn't magically attack and remove calcium and leave plaster alone. It strips off the plaster and takes the calcium with it. It will not likely remove all the calcium. So what you're left with is some amount less calcium, but not a particularly more attractive finish (to my eye). And, as I said, a surface that will not last as long as it would have. That is best case. Unless you have a very light layer of calcium and a very skilled acid-washer-guy that really knows what he is doing, then you might get better looking results (but still lose plaster life).

Worst case, you'll destroy your finish and need to have it replaced.

This is based on my experience alone, in one plaster pool. YMMV.

Keep in mind: it is plaster that is holding all the little pebbles in place. Most pebble finishes, if not all, when first installed, are subjected to an acid wash. The purpose of that initial acid wash is to eat away just the right amount of plaster to reveal just the right amount of pebbles. When you subject the surface to another acid wash, which won't to much of anything to the little pebbles, what do you expect will happen to the plaster that was already at the perfect level relative to the pebbles?

Had I to do it over again, I would have left the pool surface alone, and bead-blasted the tile. I would then leave my glasses in the house and convince myself that the calcium streaks along the bottom were a tribute to the milky way, my own custom design, and left it at that. I would have enjoyed the pool, as is, until the plaster was shot, then replaced it.

At the very least, give PebbleTec support a call and see what they say about acid washing their product. They would know better than anyone, certainly better than me...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.