Scaling worry...

sean.a.hyde

Gold Supporter
Jun 5, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I just finished draining, replumbing, opening, and then salting my pool.
All new pump, filter, SWCG, plumbing (and I think not too bad a job since I've never done this before).
Image from iOS (11).jpg

When I refilled my pool, I had brought it only up to the min of the skimmers. I normally keep my Autocover closed for safety (and to keep heat in), and so I keep a pump on top to pump the water off to edge of the yard. We were getting some rain so I simply moved the end of the hose into the skimmer so that I could capture the water and fill the pool a little more. That was a week ago. As I wrapped up the finishing touches on the plumbing today, I went to move the hose end out of the skimmer basket and realized the brass threaded end was pretty well crusted with white crusties.

I immediately thought of scaling, but my CSI from a couple days ago was -0.34 (FC: 9.5, pH: 7.6, TA: 60, CH: 350, Temp: 75-80).

Should I be worried about this?

I believe brass and chlorine do not play well together.

Hmmm. I'm also seeing what looks like scaling on the anode I put in a week ago.
Image from iOS (12).jpg

Do you think this is caused by having the brass in the water, or am I just getting scaling on all pieces of metal, and if so, why?
I just tested everything again, and although my chlorine is still a bit high (even though I only have the SWCG at 10% -- guess I need it lower for now), my CSI still is coming up slightly negative...
I verified the pH meter reading with the color drop test.
I suspect that I may be measuring my TA wrong based on how much acid I had to add the last time I lowered my pH, but even if I was off by a factor of 3, my CSI would still be well within range.

I doubt you have an issue. No idea on an anode. Never had one and it is really not necessary.

I would relax. Enjoy your pool.

Eye irritation is from CC or low pH. If your FC is below SLAM level, you will not notice it.

Eye irritation is from CC or low pH. If your FC is below SLAM level, you will not notice it.
Hmm...
Just measured CCs at 0.5 (one drop switches it back to clear) -- which makes sense since there is zero organic material in the water, especially with the Autocover and the chlorine level has been relatively high since the pool was opened when it was cold.
pH is 7.6 measured with both the color drop test and my digital meter.

Covers trap CC. Be sure it is off for awhile before you swim.

Be sure the swimmers do not rub their eyes. That will create red eyes also.

Having the cover open definitely seems to have reduced the eye itch. The chlorine level also dropped. After coming from a pool with CYA of ~140, I'm going to have to get used to losing so much chlorine during the day due to sun.
Early in the season (cold, not swimming much), I'm definitely going to have to adjust my SWCG based on whether we used the pool since the pool stays covered most of the time.

I did check out the Zinc Anode again... It definitely has even more white stuff on it than I posted before. I read all the posts on here about how they are generally just a placebo (and for sure it seems like just chucking one in a skimmer basket would never help anyone), but I am curious what all the white scale is, and why there seems to be so much of it in just 4 weeks of having the anode. If it is pulling stuff out of the water that wouldn't be a problem anyway, then I guess I don't care... but why is it pulling stuff out of the water in the first place if it is just a placebo?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.