Scaling From Excess Salt

Marty is taking good care of you so I won't tie-up traffic, but something caught my attention and I wanted to share:
1. While we don't trust pool store testing (to include metals) your printout in post #1 does show a level of iron close to what could be concerning. When the water gets close to 0.3 ppm it's a concern. That's why TF-100 results are so important now. Your FC and/of pH can drastically impact iron in the water. Even some city municipalities have excessive iron.
2. The improvement with Vitamin C noted above seems to confirm you have an iron content in those stains.
3. Are you on a well? I didn't notice it mentioned above, but that would certainly increase your iron content. In some rare cases copper. Besides the salt, has anyone added anything else to the pool, any pool store products besides chlorine, salt, muriatic acid, etc.?

Marty is taking good care of you so I won't tie-up traffic, but something caught my attention and I wanted to share:
1. While we don't trust pool store testing (to include metals) your printout in post #1 does show a level of iron close to what could be concerning. When the water gets close to 0.3 ppm it's a concern. That's why TF-100 results are so important now. Your FC and/of pH can drastically impact iron in the water. Even some city municipalities have excessive iron.
2. The improvement with Vitamin C noted above seems to confirm you have an iron content in those stains.
3. Are you on a well? I didn't notice it mentioned above, but that would certainly increase your iron content. In some rare cases copper. Besides the salt, has anyone added anything else to the pool, any pool store products besides chlorine, salt, muriatic acid, etc.?
1. Sounds like we may have our answer and I need to do a metal purge.
2. Not well water, comes from the town. But to your point, my refills with the hose may contain metals.
3. Is there a way to test metals with my kit? The insert only had instructions for a few tests like chlorine and TA. I had to look up how to do the salt test.

Follow up - I looked at my screenshot and it shows the iron (and other metal) content as 0?

Follow up - I looked at my screenshot and it shows the iron (and other metal) content as 0?
My apologies. Long night I guess as I was looking at the wrong figure. :brickwall: While the store test doesn't seem to show iron, Vitamin C success typically indicates iron. Good you aren't on a well, but as Marty was indicating earlier, there seems to be iron content from somewhere. If not the local water, then something sporadically fell into the pool. Maybe a long shot, but while there seems to be no reason to consider copper, have you tried the same rubbing with a sock trick, but with dry acid? Magic Jack's also sells a Stain ID kit you might wish to try later. But I'll let @mknaussfollow-up with you on the issue. :)

My apologies. Long night I guess as I was looking at the wrong figure. :brickwall: While the store test doesn't seem to show iron, Vitamin C success typically indicates iron. Good you aren't on a well, but as Marty was indicating earlier, there seems to be iron content from somewhere. If not the local water, then something sporadically fell into the pool. Maybe a long shot, but while there seems to be no reason to consider copper, have you tried the same rubbing with a sock trick, but with dry acid? Magic Jack's also sells a Stain ID kit you might wish to try later. But I'll let @mknaussfollow-up with you on the issue. :)
Think I should go ahead and put the stuff in it to flush the metals out? Nothing to lose right?

Update - I found a video talking about this issue:

I did try the calcium test. While it does turn blue at the end (sitting at 200 PPM for calcium), it did not turn red early in the test. I turned purple instead.

Does this indicate the presence of metal in the water?

Does this indicate the presence of metal in the water?
Possibly. But not relevant to a level of concern.

None of the products that claim to 'capture' metals work to the point they matter. The only way to remove iron is to oxidize it (turn the pool water brown) and filter it or dispose of the pool water and fill the pool with metal free water.

I've had spots like this from time to time in my fiberglass pool (although smaller) seems to be from some type of metal laying in one spot. I've also had a bunch of acorn and leave staining and so far a magic eraser has completely removed all of them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to comment on your pool mfg. the town will have your building permits and they should have information on the pool builder if not the manufacturer itself. All you need to provide is your address to the construction department.

If they only have the builder it is a starting place to call.

Reactions: MrSiblini
I've had spots like this from time to time in my fiberglass pool (although smaller) seems to be from some type of metal laying in one spot. I've also had a bunch of acorn and leave staining and so far a magic eraser has completely removed all of them.
Good stuff! Will try the magic eraser.

I did discover several raised spots in the bottom of my pool when I dove back into it. Also a yellow spot around the center of the pool floor. They don't seem to be getting any worse....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.