Scale on Tile

joronimo

Jun 4, 2019
Phoenix, Az
I have a lot of scale on my tile at the water line. A previous owner kept the water level high and now I have a ring of hard white scale (Phoenix water is really hard). I want to try and clean this off, my thought is to not use chemicals and ruin my water chemistry. I was thinking of using a pneumatic angle/die grinder or drill with a bristle brush of some kind.

Anyone try this or have thoughts? Any suggestions on the brush material? I want aggressive cleaning without damage.

Thanks!

"Calcium scale can be very difficult to remove. Small patches of scale can be removed with a pumice stone. In mild cases, lowering your CSI to about -0.8 and brushing aggressively can sometimes remove scale, particularly when a sequestrant designed for calcium is also used, but this can take weeks and you need to be careful not to lower your PH too far of you can damage copper heat exchange coils. There are no drain acid wash systems, such as Jack’s Magic The Copper & Scale Stuff, but the heater (if any) must be bypassed and the process can take weeks. The only reliable solution for removing calcium scaling is a full drain and acid wash."

I would try a pumice stone first. Next step would be pumice + 25% muriatic acid/75% water solution.

"Calcium scale can be very difficult to remove. Small patches of scale can be removed with a pumice stone. In mild cases, lowering your CSI to about -0.8 and brushing aggressively can sometimes remove scale, particularly when a sequestrant designed for calcium is also used, but this can take weeks and you need to be careful not to lower your PH too far of you can damage copper heat exchange coils. There are no drain acid wash systems, such as Jack’s Magic The Copper & Scale Stuff, but the heater (if any) must be bypassed and the process can take weeks. The only reliable solution for removing calcium scaling is a full drain and acid wash."

I would try a pumice stone first. Next step would be pumice + 25% muriatic acid/75% water solution.

Thanks Justin, I'll give that a try!

For waterline scale on the tile, a drain and acid wash won't be effective. If you can't remove it manually or chemically, the best solution is media blasting. I'm sure there are companies in the Phoenix area that provide the service. I paid $4 per linear foot (about $400 for my pool) out here in So Cal. Here's my experience with scale removal:

Last edited:
Look up Arizona Bead Blasting. Mark White is (or was) the owner and they do kierserite blasting. He was nice enough to come down Tucson a few years ago and clean my tile but he only services Phoenix area pools now. He knows his stuff and you’ll pay somewhere in the ballpark of $3-$5/linear-ft of tile. It’s well worth it though and your tile will look like new. Anything you attempt to do will likely damage or severely “frost” the tile surface. Scale removal, when it’s thick, is best left to a professional.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.