Sanity Check?

faigenistic

Jun 20, 2023
Charlotte, NC
Just tested my water again today. It's 72F out and the pool is 74F. These are the results:

pH 7.3
FC 7.0
TC 7.0
TA 40
CH 140
CYA 50

First thought is I'm going to raise my CYA to 90 using the old pantyhose and granules method by the jet.
I probably need to grab a bag of salt as well to keep the chlorine at good levels as the generator is working harder than normal.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

First thought is I'm going to raise my CYA to 90
70 is fine. If you find unusual FC loss, add 10 more.

How'd you get 7.3 FC ? If using Taylor, use the 10ml samples and each drop is .5. It saves 2.5X the supplies.

There may come a time mid season that you need more than 70 CYA if it's a blazing summer, but you've got plenty of time if so.

If you overshoot a little to 80, it won't hurt besides raising your FC target a little

swcg_chart.jpg

Make sure to factor the time of day and cell production in regards to your testing. Low target may be ok in the late afternoon if you're replenishing FC before the next day, but likely isn't enough if you're starting the day on the lower side.

Once the UV gets blazing, the cell will barely keep up, or maybe even lag behind.

Reactions: faigenistic
FC 7.0
TC 7.0
Do you have a FAS-DPD test for FC/CC? If not, you need it. TC isn't useful, but FC/CC is. 4+0 and 2+2 are two very different situations.

Are you continuing to add drops until there is no further color change? I typically need add ~2 more drops after the color begins to change.

First thought is I'm going to raise my CYA to 90
CYA 80 is a good target for SWCG users.

I probably need to grab a bag of salt
What's you salt level? Do you have a K-1766? Is your cell complaining about low salt?

the generator is working harder than normal
Salt doesn't get consumed during SWCG operation. If you have enough salt to satisfy your SWCG, you're good to go.

Based on my TA, what should i add to bring it back up to 7.3-7.4?
Any pH in the 7s is fine. If your TA is truly 40 (see above), add a whisper of baking soda to bump it to 50-60. pH will slowly rise by itself, no specific action needed. No need for borax or soda ash. Obviously, don't add any MA. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have a FAS-DPD test for FC/CC? If not, you need it. TC isn't useful, but FC/CC is. 4+0 and 2+2 are two very different situations.

Are you continuing to add drops until there is no further color change? I typically need add ~2 more drops after the color begins to change.

CYA 80 is a good target for SWCG users.

What's you salt level? Do you have a K-1766? Is your cell complaining about low salt?

Salt doesn't get consumed during SWCG operation. If you have enough salt to satisfy your SWCG, you're good to go.

Any pH in the 7s is fine. If your TA is truly 40 (see above), add a whisper of baking soda to bump it to 50-60. pH will slowly rise by itself, no specific action needed. No need for borax or soda ash. Obviously, don't add any MA. :)
thanks for all the comments.

i am using a FAS-DPD test.

i typically try to keep the CYA around 80/90 during the summer.

salt cell via the app is saying instant salt is around 2800 now at 38%. it typically stays around 3200 and 32%. and yes, i know the hayward app is not truly an accurate reading, but it's what i got.

i will double check the TA again tomorrow to verify and if needed add a slight bit of baking soda.

Alright, so my water was looking great pre-Memorial day weekend. I tested on 5/23/24 and these were my results:

pH: 7.3
FC: 6.0
TC: 6.0
TA: 60
CYA: 60
CH: 140

I was having a group of 15 people over this weekend so I went ahead and added about 36oz. or 7.5% chlorine bleach to get the pH up to about 8.0 and then again about 1lb of granualar CYA via the sock method to take it from 60 CYA to 70 CYA.

Had a great weekend with lots of people playing, etc. just as it should be.

Noticed my water was clear but a bit hazier than it was pre-party on Sunday so I decided to check my water chemistry again just now at 730AM on 5/28/24 and here are my results:

pH: 7.4
FC: 4.0
TC: 4.0
TA: 60
CYA: 70
CH: 140

Is there any reason that I saw a drop in FC over the weekend if the CYA did not deplete? I'm assuming I can just go ahead and add about 54oz. of 7.5% chlorine bleach to get the FC back up to around 7.0 which would suit my CYA levels. I'm using a SWCG and there is sufficient salt, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything since I just added bleach?

Thanks again everyone in advance!