Sanitizing without chemicals

DMA

Jul 11, 2010
New indoor pool, under construction. Primary swimmers are two adults. Visiting kids age 2-15.
We would like to avoid chemicals most of the time (health reasons), and use a manual Bromine shock when we will be away from home for 2-3 days.

What are your opinions about this operating model:

(1) Delta UV Sanitizer E/ES40
and
(2) Pentair Clean & CLear Cartridge system CCP320 OR Pentair Sand Filter TR-100
and
(3) Pentair Rainbow Brominator #300 for occasional Bromine shock
and
(4) IntelliFlo high-performance programmable variable-flow pump

Also, is Diamondbrite finish comfortable or rough on the feet?

Thanks,
DMA

The experts will be along shortly to give the official word - however, I'm not seeing the UV sanitizer keeping the water clean enough as a regular source of maintaining sanitation unless you plan to use the Bromine more regularly than just as an occassional shock when you leave home. I believe it does in fact require supplementation. I'll let the experts tackle that - it's jmho from reading their posts.

Welcome to TFP. You may have read more than a few threads, but as a new user myself, I have slowly, but surely come to the conclusion that chlorine is likely the best sanitizer when properly maintained, which is what this site is all about. Other more experienced users will chime in I'm sure.

From a health professional standpoint I'm am also aware of the possible detriments of chlorine on asthma, other respiratory ailments and certain skin conditions, but now I'm starting to question the methods of those studies because it is so easy to get ill effects from an improperly maintained pool. Stable and low amounts of chlorine are probably not the culprit in those case, but improper pH, combined chlorines, metals, and what-have-you are more likely to have detrimental effects on chronic lung and skin conditions.

I was once going to get a UV light and Ozonator, but have now I'm excited to save the money, get a good test kit and a good chlorinator and maybe some borax!

Good luck.

While the UV will kill biological contaminants, it will only do so when the water passes through the plumbing. That leaves you open to direct pathogen transfer from bather to bather.

I'm not sure of your reasoning for using the bromine when you are away. The pool needs to be sanitized while you are in it, and with no swimmers the UV will keep the water clear.

I'd recommend you just maintain a sufficient bromine level at all times and your water will be safe and will stay clear.

Bromine used with ozone will create carcinogens. Bad idea.

To do ozone correctly you need 1 gram/hour/1000 gallons of water circulated continously and you must use a contact tank or holding tank. .... and because this is indoors you must have an ozone scrubber on your contact tank and ozone monitoring alarm system indoors. High levels of ozone indoors can exacerbate asthma also.... and all that will run you about $15k.

Indoor pools are difficult.

I don't have any experience with the UV, but think it may have a place with an indoor setup....likely not as the only sanitizer though...

First off, 90+% of advice you will get anywhere is from people with NO EXPERIENCE dealing with indoor residential pools.

Second every indoor pool is different, in my case while it is an indoor pool, the pool is surrounded by about a dozen sliding glass doors which can allow a great deal or ventialation / air exchange, an important feature in my area in the summer.

Third, Chlorine is not a dirty word, in 30 years of dealing with an indoor pool, trying various things, baqua, etc. I am back to basic liquid bleach, and MPS non chlorine shock for supplemental oxidation. I have no problems with strong "chlorine" fumes like I seem to always find at indoor pools in hotels, even in the spring and fall months when the doors tend to be closed and Solar heat running, etc.

Ike

p.s. I am considering trying UV to replace or partly replace my need for MPS

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.