Sandpaper-like grit (calcium crystals?) suddenly on entire pool surface, polaris and hose...

Here is where we are now... CH is slowly climbing and pH and TA are coming down.
  • 8/17 PM
    • CL: 0
    • pH: 8
    • TA: 240
-------
  • 8/18 08:30 am
    • Add 2 qt Acid
  • 8/18 09:45 am
    • ?CL: .5
    • ?pH: 7.2
    • Add 1 gal Chlorine
    • Scrubbed
  • 8/18 05:00 pm
    • ?CL: 1
    • ?pH: 7.5
    • ?TA: 220
    • Add 1 gal Chlorine
-------
  • 8/19 08:00 am
    • ?CL: 3
    • ?pH: 7.6
    • ⏹TA: 220
    • Add 2 qt Acid
  • 8/19 5:30 pm
    • ?CL: 2
    • ?pH: 7.4
    • ?TA: 180
    • Add 1 gal Chlorine
    • Add 1 qt Acid
    • Scrubbed

☑I am going to need to add fill water as 100 degree days are doing a great job of evaporation.

Last edited:
Great advice.

A few more questions.
1. Do I want to get the chlorine up to 7-8 while trying to get the pH down with MA or should I get chlorine up then work on the pH?
2. Should I use my new stainless wire pool brush or stick with the standard nylon brush to brush pool plaster while I’m trying to get the scale off?
I'll answer number 2... as you pull your chem numbers back in line the scale will dissolve back into solution naturally. You can brush and scrub if you like for more immediate physical removal... the chemistry is what will do the real trick. that's why everyone is focusing on that first.

I'll answer number 2... as you pull your chem numbers back in line the scale will dissolve back into solution naturally. You can brush and scrub if you like for more immediate physical removal... the chemistry is what will do the real trick. that's why everyone is focusing on that first.

Scale will dissolve best if @james0125 can run his CSI at the low end of the range around -0.3 for a while.

Thanks Allen for providing the exact levels to maintain. In my own experience I've noticed just keeping the chemistry better balanced reduces the scaling on its own.

CSI between-0.3 to -0.6 can accomplish that depending on how aggressive you want to be.

Low pH and high TA fill water with an autofill will give you a constant battle to keep your CSI negative. You need to be vigilant and adjust the TA down regularly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have similar fill water and did manage to dissolve calcium scale two springs ago. I brushed with a nylon brush just for normal maintenance. I did just what was mentioned above and took my pH down to 7.2 whenever it rose to 7.7 (that’s when my CSI would be positive and the SWCG would throw flakes, so I always tried to lower it before that tipping point). Just as was mentioned above, -.3 was my goal in poolmath. Now that my calcium is lower it is a bit easier to manage.

It is hard having high TA fill water and high calcium, but it can be managed. You’ve come to the right place to learn how to do it.

Progress

• 8/21 07:00 am
    • CL: 4​
    • pH: 7.6​
  • 8/20 07:30 am - 09:00 am
    • Add 1080 gallons of FILL Water
    • Add 1.5 qt Acid
  • 8/21 12:30 pm
    • CL: 3​
    • pH: 7.3​
    • TA: 180​
  • 8/21 04:00 pm
    • CL: 2.5​
    • pH: 7.4​
    • Add 1.5 qt Acid
  • 8/21 06:30 pm
    • CL: 2​
    • pH: 7.2​
    • TA: 150​
    • Add 1 gal Chlorine

Last edited:
  • Pool Finish:Wet Edge Primera Stone
    • * This is a more unique finish. It is an plaster-stone aggregate (similar to Pebbletec), with a major distinction. After the aggregate is put in and dried, it is hand-sanded/polished to have an end result of a marble-like smooth finish.
What color Primera Stone did you get? Are you happy with it? Why'd you choose Primera Stone over the unfinished aggregate options? Any chance I can get a pic from you along with my 20 questions lol we're considering Primera Stone vs Signature Matrix (or Prism same thing but with glass beads).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.