Midwest
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Love this sharing of information!! I would like to ask about the sand. Is it vital? Recommended? My 32' X 16' X 52" pool will be here in about 7 days. I'm new to this and don't want to make a mistake (your photo's are making me nervous). My uneducated plan is to have someone dig and level the area, then an inch or two of sand, then 3/4" XPS foam board, then the tarp that comes with the pool, then the pool. I'm concerned about staying level when I add the sand. Is the sand necessary?

I don't think so, it just gives a nice feeling floor. I'm setting up my pool today, and because of budgetary constraints we didn't put any sand down. I have a Gorilla pad and the ground cloth on a level, swept site. I know the bottom will be hard, but I don't expect any trouble.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply!! I had to Google gorilla pad. This looks like a replacement for the foam board? If this will work, it sounds much easier and more budget friendly.

The gorilla pad is much thinner than foam board. If you use foam board you don't need to use sand. If you use the gorilla pad you may want a little sand under it for extra comfort. As long as the ground beneath the sand is firm and level and you only use an inch or two of sand it shouldn't affect how level the pool is once it is set up. The weight of the water will compress and push the sand out under the legs. That's why we don't recommend sand as a material to level a pool in the first place. There should be concrete pavers set flush with the ground under each leg of the pool, so if you are still nervous about the sand just brush it off the top of the paver and set the leg on bare concrete.

Reactions: JeaniB
I used the XPS foam under my pool last year. I moved my pool this year and some of the foam got damaged since I left it sitting out and we had record rains and winds for days, so decided to use sand this year since it was much cheaper than replacing the foam. I like the foam much better. It's a nice cushion and smooth. The gorilla pad is not thick like foam; its meant to protect the liner from grass and such growing up through it. Last year, I leveled, put down the foam boards, a tarp, then the pool. I loved it. If you use the foam, I suggest triple taping the seams with a good tape (I used gorilla tape).

Reactions: JeaniB
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.