Sand vs sand and gravel in sand filter

PhoenixJBA

May 28, 2019
Peoria, Arizona
My husband and I are going to be replacing laterals in our 22 year old but new to us Triton 2 sand filter. We’ve owned the house/pool for almost 2 weeks now. I’m the brain - the one with interest and a flexible schedule while home with kids to do research. He’s the braun - lots of natural mechanical ability and familiarity with tools. We’re getting sand in the pool so I’m assuming broken laterals are the cause. We’re going to change the sand and paint the housing while we’re out there. I’ve ordered the parts from Inyo including the wrench to open the top and an o-ring. The manual we found for it says it could use sand alone or a combination of sand and gravel. We don’t know what’s in there now. Are there any benefits to a combination of the two? If I find a combination is it ok to replace it all with just sand?

Welcome! :wave: For those with fairly large filters, the pea gravel can help with water circulation at the bottom where the laterals are conerned. Not mandatory, but a consideration some will use. Others opt for all sand and do just fine. If you do go with some pea gravel, watch the size. I believe it needs to be between 1/8" - 1/4 "? Maybe 3/8" at its largest. Your manual should confirm. Also make sure to pre-wash the pea gravel before adding.

Reactions: PhoenixJBA
Thanks! If there’s already gravel in it is it ok to rinse it and reuse? I read that sand needs to be replaced because it wears down over time so it won’t be as effective. Does the same apply to pea gravel if it’s there mostly for circulation purposes?

Filter sand will not break down, it’s a pool store non truth. It’s a quick way for them to make $400 or more.

Suction out the existing sand, and pea gravel, remove lateral and replace. Fill the filter 1/3 with water, then slowly add pea gravel until the laterals are covered, you can then add existing sand or new if you chose.

Reactions: PhoenixJBA
The gravel will simply act to reduce the effective volume (and filtering area) of your sand filter. Don't really see the point of having a large filter and then reducing its effectiveness with gravel. You can't have a filter that's too big! :)

The pea gravel in fact helps with water flow and won’t affect filtering. The sand filter only filters down to 25 microns, adding filtering aid through the skimmer can make it more effective. Too often people rely on the filter when it’s their chemistry that is the underlying issue.

Filter sand will not break down, it’s a pool store non truth. It’s a quick way for them to make $400 or more.

Pool Medic, you’re saying there’s actually no reason to change the sand related to filter effectiveness? I could use the same sand indefinitely?

The sand filter only filters down to 25 microns, adding filtering aid through the skimmer can make it more effective.

If I add in DE through the skimmer will it flush out each time I backflush?

Thank you!

Welcome! :wave: For those with fairly large filters, the pea gravel can help with water circulation at the bottom where the laterals are conerned. Not mandatory, but a consideration some will use. Others opt for all sand and do just fine. If you do go with some pea gravel, watch the size. I believe it needs to be between 1/8" - 1/4 "? Maybe 3/8" at its largest. Your manual should confirm. Also make sure to pre-wash the pea gravel before adding.
Thanks! I’ll check the manual. It doesn’t sound like a bad idea to use it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ve seen sand filters 30+ yrs old with original sand. I know everyone here loves DE, but I dint, it’s a known carcinogen. I won’t touch the stuff or be near it. There are other filtering aids that can be used IF you require smaller filtration.

Sand doesn't wear down. However, it can get gunked up which will impact it's ability to filter. Definitely try the sand filter "deep clean" described in the sticky threads before changing your sand. I did the deep clean a year ago, and it did wonders for my filter. I have used a non-DE filter enhancer - I think it was some kind a biodegradable cellulose from a major pool chemical company who's name escapes me at the moment - but haven't found it necessary since the filter deep clean.

Sand doesn't wear down. However, it can get gunked up which will impact it's ability to filter. Definitely try the sand filter "deep clean" described in the sticky threads before changing your sand. I did the deep clean a year ago, and it did wonders for my filter. I have used a non-DE filter enhancer - I think it was some kind a biodegradable cellulose from a major pool chemical company who's name escapes me at the moment - but haven't found it necessary since the filter deep clean.
This is very helpful. Thank you.

I believe your filter needs to be deep cleaned.....please do that.

I do not believe your sand needs to be replaced.

I do believe you can use either all sand or part pea gravel......your choice

I do believe you need to unequivocally confirm that is sand on your pool floor and not dead algae..........90 out of 100 times it is dead algae.

I believe your filter needs to be deep cleaned.....please do that.

I do not believe your sand needs to be replaced.

I do believe you can use either all sand or part pea gravel......your choice

I do believe you need to unequivocally confirm that is sand on your pool floor and not dead algae..........90 out of 100 times it is dead algae.
My first thought was mustard algae but I’ve picked it up and examined it in my own hand. Definitely sand. I will find the threads on deep cleaning and give it a try.

Now that you have determined it is sand, I think you need to remove it and inspect the laterals for damage. You could then add more sand and reuse the old if you like. Be sure to use correctly sized pool sand if you need to add some.

Since also have sand in the bottom of my pool I am posing the question, how are you going to get it out?
I'm concerned that the "pump to waste" setting on my valve head would still move the sand through my pump which, I would think, would be bad for it. Thanks!

Since you are probably not reading my other thread I too had a cracked stand pipe and I used J-B Weld Water Weld and it worked well so far. It's been on there about a week. They also make a Marine Weld which I can't comment on. Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.