Sand in Filter

May 7, 2018
FL
I cleaned my filter today and when I opened the filter container I was greeted by sand. It’s a Clean and Clear 100 cartridge filter.
16370174-5B57-4EBF-AB71-B662E7FD1DB6.jpg

I’ve never seen this before. When I rinsed the filter I didn't feel any grittiness in the folds, so I think it was just on the top. My pool is protected by a screened lanai so I can’t imagine it blew in from somewhere.

My test reaults from today:

FC 6.6
CC 0.4
pH 7.4
TA 60
CH 260
CYA (from about 3 weeks ago) 60

Dont know if it’s related but I’ve had a few spots pop up on the pool floor over the last few weeks (5total). They are a reddish-brown and don’t go away when I brush. I haven’t had a chance to investigate them but I was warned that I might have high copper due to the amount of algaecide the pool store had me use before I found TFP.

Any idea why I would have sand?

Thanks!!

For those reddish spots, try placing some crushed vitamin C tablets in a nylon or think sock and hold it against the stain(s) for a bit. It they lighten or go away they are iron.

About the sand issue, have you been losing any water? Any chance of a leak on the suction side (from skimmer to pump) that might suck-in sand from that plumbing line? I doubt it, but figured I'd ask. Not sure how else it would get in there unless it was from a heavy water run-off, strong winds, or something else like that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.