Sand filter using zeo

ilovemynash

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
I just started working on my liner pool with a 500 lb haynard sand filter using zeo. I have a constant brown film in the bottom of the pool. when I turned my ECOpump from low speed tp high speed, I got a brown cloud from my returns. Now I back flush filter on high, then rinse, then turn pump off, switch filter to filter and then turn pump back on high. Not see the brown cloud again, but I keep the aquabot running every day to clean it up. I did have a yellow tint to my liner below the water level when I uncovered the pool. FC level is 9, so I am running salt system less to drop the FC and chlorine levels. maybe my problem is different, I use a clarifer to clear the water, then I start the aquabot process again. I am suspect of my ZEO and my sand filter, please let me know your opinion. I am probably wrong. thanks

Welcome to TFP!

There are two possible answers. Hopefully the first one will work for you.

FIrst, zeo media needs to be very throughly backwashed when first installed, twenty minutes or more. If you haven't done that already, you should try doing so now.

Second, sometimes zeo just does this for a very long time. This happens when the zeo media is a little too soft and a little bit of it gets crushed each time you backwash the filter. If this is the problem there is no solution other than replacing the media.

We just started using zeros and this year. We also get a cloud when we switch from lo to high. Interestingly it is brownish, but we think it is the silt from nearby farms (as everything else is covered in it).

We pulled our sand filter apart today and even though I had recently back washed, the water draining out was nothing but gray water. We back washed for a long time initially, and we made sure we back washed and rinsed a few times today...still puff of junk into the pool when starting in filter mode.

I don't know if that is what you are seeing or not, but thought I'd share our experience.

I followed Jason's advice, that took care of the problem. water is clear without the dirt in the pool. it took about 20 minutes of backwashing, then about every 4 hours I would backwash for 2 minutes the rest of that day and the next, rinse for 1 minute, then filter. :-D :goodjob: If my problem comes back, Ill switch to sand. got lucky this time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.