Sand filter upgrade questions

philwmay

Gold Supporter
Apr 15, 2022
Terrell, Texas 75161 (south east of DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Two years ago I moved to a rural area on a lot with large trees surrounded by farmed hay fields which are themselves ringed by large heavily wooded areas. This provides us a wonderful view, however, we constantly get lots of wind carrying dust, leaves, twigs, bugs and pollen into the pool. Last year I was continuously backwashing the small sand filter (1.16 sq ft) on our 20' dia. (9600 gallon) INTEX above ground pool. Add to that I was using chlorine tablets and constantly fighting the rising CYA levels.

This year I found this website and I have switched to the TFP way of pool maintenance. In addition I have started using skimmer socks and will most likely continue using them. This should help me with much of the algae problem I had last year, however, due to the high dirt and pollen load I want to upgrade to a larger filter system more appropriate to the area I am in if for no other reason than to reduce the number of backwashes I need to perform.

I have a GAME SandPRO 75D sand filter (75 lb of pool filter sand) with 3/4 hp GAME pump. I am considering upgrading the filter to a larger Hayward ProSeries sand filter and I am wondering whether the GAME 3/4 hp pump is large enough work with a new larger filter (pump data plate is shown here).

20220424_194325.jpg

I like the smaller power usage of the 3/4 hp pump however, I also want to end up with enough flow rate to provide effective filtering with the new filter, perform backwashes and operate two INTEX Wall Mount Skimmers. According to INTEX, each skimmer requires 13.3 GPM (probably more like 15 -20 GPM)

Skimmers_.jpg

Is it even possible that given the same pump, and changing to a different manufacturer's filter with a larger effective surface area (at least 2X increase) that it is possible that the system flow rate will increase?

In case such a thing is possible, I have provided all the existing system details I can think of below:

The current filter with its 1.16 sq ft filter area gives a pump flow rate as 3,120 GPH (52 GPM) and a "Design Flow Rate" which I think is the combined pump and filter capability as 1,392 GPH (23.2 GPM). Since I installed it last year, it has been pretty consistently indicating 5 psi after backwashing. And following dusty windy conditions quickly jumps to 9 to 10 psi.

On the suction side there are two 1 1/4" hoses, each ~ 4 ft long coming through the pool wall to a single shutoff valve which when open connects to a 1 1/2" hose also ~ 4 ft long which connects to the pump's 40 mm input via an adaptor.

The pump provides a 40 mm connection to an adaptor which downsizes to a 1 1/4" hose ~ 2.5 ft long which is upsized to 40 mm another adapter to feed into the valve assembly.

The filtered output is returned to the pool via the valve assembly and a 40 mm to 1 1/2" adapter through a 5 ft hose to the wall of the pool.

Thanks for any help or suggestions can provide.

Small pump with a large sand filter works fine. @1poolman1 has commented about that in various threads lately if you search for them.

What it boils down to is that you need to upgrade your equipment. The numbers listed as performance ratings on your pump, for example, were tested under the most optimistic, ideal conditions. Your 3/4hp pump, which the energy usage, about 550 watts, indicates is only that, how much energy it uses. What you want is performance for that energy. Notice this example of pumps (and cost) that are all rated at 1hp.

At 40' of head, a standard measure of a pumps ability to move water, notice the amount of water moved (all pumps rated at 1hp and the numbers are from the manufacturer):
Pentair Whisperflo - 80gpm (a high-head pump, high-performance pump) ($759.00 at one online store-standard motor, no longer legal in the US with the standard motor)
Pentair Superflo - 40gpm (a medium-head pump, used for different applications) ($549.00, same store with new DOE-legal motor)
Pentair Optiflo - 35gpm ( a low-head pump, above-ground pool pump) ($349.00, same store with standard motor. May or may not be DOE legal, I don't work on AG pools, insurance limitations)

Your entire pump and filter combo retail for about $435.00. For that money you can't expect the performance of a even the Optiflo mentioned above from the pump that came with your system, sorry. You really do get what you pay for in pool equipment, it just costs a lot. Your water doesn't care what vessel it is in, it needs to be treated and filtered every day. That takes better equipment.

Thanks ajw22 and 1poolman1 for your responses. I will look for a properly documented pump and filter each with published performance curves and relegate the old pump to emergency backup status. I should have been tipped off to this issue when I could not find performance curves for the existing pump. Love this forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.