Sand filter pressure reading high levels

Raseanw

May 10, 2022
Baltimore, MD
Newbie here. It’s my first opening, the water was pretty filthy. I'm brushed a few times and got the leaves out with the vacuum. Now I SLAM and running my intex sand filter but after 30-45 minutes the gauge starts reading in the yellow warning zone. I’m guessing this is because the sand is getting dirty quickly because of the dirty water. After the backwash and rinse the sand it goes back to normal. Is this an accurate assessment? And will I have to monitor and backwash every time i see the gauge rise to that level?

Yes & Yes. Does your gauge read a pressure, i.e. 15psi or similar? If it reads a pressure, a backwash is needed if it moves 25% above the clean baseline pressure. So if it is 15psi, then if it rises to 18-19psi then it should be backwashed.
If all you have is color code then green is good and yellow requires backwash.

Reactions: Raseanw
Yes. The PSI gets to 14 to 15 when I check it.

Green is 5 to 11 psi
Yellow is 11 to 18
Red is 18 to 25
Thanks that info is helpful. So if you are in Green, lets say 10psi then when it raises to 13psi it is time to backwash. I would go more by the actual pressure then the color code because if you are at 11psi you would backwash because it rose to 12psi. You would wait unit it is 14psi.