Sand filter pressure high

Oh! And I also wonder if a ball valve on the pressure side went bad. That would do it no matter what. Those shut off valves are not as reliable a standard 3-way valves.
So I inspected the valve and seems to be fine, how can I check the spider gasket and key valve?
When im waste and vacuuming I find water isn't coming out as freely i find, like cones out alot and then a little but other than that everything seems fine

how can I check the spider gasket and key valve?
You would have to remove the top and inspect it. As for the blue handled ball valve on the pressure return line, the handle might turn fine but inside it could be bad. Something to think about if you exhaust all other options.

You would have to remove the top and inspect it. As for the blue handled ball valve on the pressure return line, the handle might turn fine but inside it could be bad. Something to think about if you exhaust all other options.
So I took off that valve and everything seems fine, is it possible that my sand filter just works at 20psi??

is it possible that my sand filter just works at 20psi??
Every pool is different, but yes, the psi on your pool could be completely different than your neighbor. Keep in mind that algae and the previous use of clarifier will make the psi read much higher as well. So if everything mechanically seems fine at the pad, you might find it best at some point to just replace the sand and then resume the SLAM Process.

Every pool is different, but yes, the psi on your pool could be completely different than your neighbor. Keep in mind that algae and the previous use of clarifier will make the psi read much higher as well. So if everything mechanically seems fine at the pad, you might find it best at some point to just replace the sand and then resume the SLAM Process.
Yes but my pressure was already at 20psi before the clarifier

Yes but my pressure was already at 20psi before the clarifier
But if the clarifier was ever allowed to reach the sand, the consistency of the sand is compromised. Same thing with floc. That's why we almost never recommend using those products here at TFP. When you think about all the troubleshooting we've done on your system, there are only a couple things remaining - the pressure side ball valve or the sand. That is of course assuming the MPV is operating correctly.

Reactions: Stevemiana
But if the clarifier was ever allowed to reach the sand, the consistency of the sand is compromised. Same thing with floc. That's why we almost never recommend using those products here at TFP. When you think about all the troubleshooting we've done on your system, there are only a couple things remaining - the pressure side ball valve or the sand. That is of course assuming the MPV is operating correctly.
But the sand wouldn't be a problem in recirculation mode, right?

Where is the pressure side ball valve?

But the sand wouldn't be a problem in recirculation mode, right?
Correct. It shouldn't be unless there is something wrong with the MPV allowing water into the filter when it shouldn't.
Where is the pressure side ball valve?
That blue handled valve just past the SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another thing that is happening is my heater heats up from 27 to 30 degrees in about a min and then turns off, drops back to 27, seconds after turn off, and then turns on again. And keeps doing this!
Nothing but problems this year

Could my return jet be to small?? Would that bring pressure up?
If someone changed their jet sizes to smaller, sure, it could result in more back-pressure. But I don't think that applied to your scenario.

Afraid your heater may be a separate issue. Best to resolve this potential filter pressure issue first.

If someone changed their jet sizes to smaller, sure, it could result in more back-pressure. But I don't think that applied to your scenario.

Afraid your heater may be a separate issue. Best to resolve this potential filter pressure issue first.
I'm going to preform the deep clean now, should I use a bit of filter cleaner?

No filter cleaner needed. Just allowing a good flow of water from the bottom to the top will do. But be advised there may still be a concern about the use of clarifier in teh past. A deep clean should help some though.
So I finished deep clean and nothing changed. Going to order new mpv and see what happens.

Can the line be clogged?

Yes, the backwash works fine, this swg is to be installed after the heater, which it is.
What he was saying is the orientation of the cell is backward. Flow is supposed to enter the end with the cord, and exit the other end. Based on the design of the cell, I don’t see why that would impede flow, but to be properly installed, it should be turned around. As for pressure, if the MPV is good and the filter is clean, I don’t know other than the small size of the piping. But it worked fine before, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.